[Air-L] What is a Roundtable, Anyway?

Huatong Sun huatongs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 14:38:32 PDT 2013

Hi Terri,

It’s great to have this conversation with you! When I responded your
earlier questions, I didn’t realize it an act of courage -- I see what we
are doing a common academic exchange on a review, :). To clarify, I wrote a
review but not a rejection. Technically, IR reviewers this year only scored
the proposals.

I agree with you about the difference between a roundtable and a panel. I
appreciate learning more about the participants of the proposed roundtable
through email exchanges, and I was happy to learn that this group would be
made up of people other than theorists, who came from India, Iran,
Thailand, and other parts of the world. Your proposal described
participants as “the experts in the areas of girls studies, sexuality
studies, race studies, sex work studies and legal studies,” whom I took as
theorists and scholars, and therefore I asked about the theoretical
frameworks and wondered how the discussion would navigate through different
sets of theories. Indeed I like all kinds of roundtables that are
thought-provoking, inspiring, and productive, including the one you
recommended. In terms of learning in action, I prefer spontaneous
discussions to staged performances, but this is just my personal
preference.

I also like the way you reframed the reviewer questions. As someone who
advocates for localized solutions, I see the questions you suggested are
more tailored to the disciplinary backgrounds of proposal writers in this
case, and therefore more helpful for revision, than the technical questions
I used.  Considering the mentoring purpose, this type of
questions/directions should serve the AOIR community better.

As a reviewer, I wish I had received some sort of reviewer guidelines.
Particularly for people like me who haven’t been to recent IR conferences,
I appreciate getting the vibe that IR favors a “big tent” approach in
advance. I also hope the review criteria are better articulated and are
connected with the mission of AOIR. I like the question of the reviewer’s
familiarity with this topic, but I don’t know how this was weighed in the
final decision process. In your case, I rated my familiarity with the topic
(slut culture) 6 out of 10.

Yes, there is much face-saving going on in more formal scholarly
discussions, and this is why we so hate and love the double-blind review in
academia. I don’t want to romanticize my struggles in this system; however,
before the system changes, I believe that “Dark nights have given me the
dark eyes / Yet I use them to seek light” (Gu Cheng, 1980). For example, I
am happy to learn how to make reviewer’s feedback more helpful for proposal
writers through this discussion. Thank you!

Looking forward to catching up with you in Denver!

Best,

Huatong

Huatong Sun, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Digital Media Studies
Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences
University of Washington Tacoma
http://faculty.washington.edu/htsun/

Book: Cross-Cultural Technology Design: Creating Culture-Sensitive
Technology for Local Users
http://global.oup.com/academic/product/cross-cultural-technology-design-9780199744763