[Air-L] #occupygezi, #direnankara, #direngziparkı press release

F. Mutlu Binark binark at baskent.edu.tr
Sun Jun 2 11:42:49 PDT 2013

Dear  All
In Ankara the police opression and teargasing to the civilians still are
continuing...Bsides sound bombs have been used in Ankara. I would like to
share the press release of Alternative Informatics Assocation

for more info: http://www.alternatifbilisim.org/wiki/Ana_Sayfa

ALTERNATIVE INFORMATICS ASSOCIATION’S PRESS RELEASE

On May 31 2013, state power /Turkish police has used disproportionate
force against citizens protesting the the government’s decision to build a
shopping centre at the expense of one of Istanbul’s most famous park Gezi
Park.  Freedom of assembly and the right to express an opinion is a
component of the constitutional and fundamental human rights and freedoms.
Turkish citizens have used this right peacefully. But İstanbul police use
disproportionate force. This situation means the violation of the
fundamental rights written at the Constitution. Also this situation is the
violation of UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the European
Convention on Human Rights and the European Charter of Fundamental Rights.
We see that we are not living in a democratic society, we are living in a
country that government uses tear gas against its citizens when they want
to use their democratic rights. We condemn this violence. We announce to
the public that at any kind of citizen response using tear gas is the
signifier of the severity of a coercive and oppressive government.
--
Prof.Dr. Mutlu Binark
Baskent Universitesi

believed to be clean.