[Air-L] IRBs for the independent scholar

danah boyd aoir.z3z at danah.org
Mon Jun 3 09:36:35 PDT 2013

Many American grant-giving agencies require an ethics review (IRB) as a part of those proposals, regardless of whether you're independent or not. (You usually need a receiving org to take the money so it's that org that's responsible.)   In other cases, going through a formal ethics review can be a good reality check because a good IRB will see things you can't.

For some of my more ethically fraught projects, my collaborators and I have used Chesapeake IRB: http://chesapeakeirb.com/ This process is ten bazillion times more sane than university IRBs.  Their IRB meets every weekday and the turnaround for a proposal is a week. They don't flip out when the word "children" is invoked and they work diligently to figure out how to develop a healthy ethical procedure even in seriously high risk situations.  (Keep in mind that I interview abused minors who've been commercially sexually violated.)  I've never done this process alone and it's usually my collaborators who manage the IRB procedures so I don't have a full grasp of the procedures, but I've been sooooo grateful for how easy and rigorous it has been.  (And also keep in mind that it took me over 2 years to get through university IRB for my dissertation fieldwork so I'm a bit bitter about IRBs to say the least.)

danah