[Air-L] Understanding Social Media

Cronin, Catherine catherine.cronin at nuigalway.ie
Wed Jun 5 10:47:15 PDT 2013

Hi Kayla and all,

Have you seen the Social Media Literacies syllabus created and shared by Howard Rheingold?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1whawicjQdSDh1ohWF4-CDnSrrpkjfFtnpc6632vGBvg/edit

I've found Howard's resources, particularly this one, very useful when planning courses and resources lists re: social media.

I teach a 2nd year module in IT Professional Skills which includes a digital literacies/social media strand. Our course website is here: http://ct231.wordpress.com. It will not be at the same level of detail as the Masters course you are planning, but you might find the course outline and reading list helpful.

As Michael has suggested, I've found that using social media in teaching the course is the most powerful approach. I use Twitter mostly, and we have engaged in Twitter chats with bloggers (e.g. Bonnie Stewart, after studying her "6 Selves of Digital Identity" post), with academic staff at our university (discussing use of Facebook and Twitter for learning), etc.

Kind regards,
Catherine

Catherine Cronin | Academic Coordinator online IT programmes | Department of Information Technology | NUI Galway
E-mail: catherine.cronin at nuigalway.ie | Twitter: @catherinecronin | about.me/catherinecronin
MScSED and IT Online programmes: www.nuigalway.ie/ITonline