[Air-L] Media Spaces

Lee H. Humphreys lmh13 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 6 09:03:56 PDT 2013

Hi Massimo,

First, I would recommend "MediaSpace" by Couldry & McCarthy (Routledge, 2004). It's a great edited volume looking at these issues.
I think one area you might think about adding a module on is mobile media as there is a lot of interesting scholarship looking at space and media in this sub-field. For example, Rowan Wilken and Gerard Goggin's book 'Mobile Technology and Place' (Routledge, 2012) would be a great resource.

I have a recent article in JOBEM, entitled "Connecting, Coordinating, Cataloguing: Communicative Practices on Mobile Social Networks," which uses a spatial theoretical framework for understanding mobile media use (I think it's still open access http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/08838151.2012.732144).

I would also second the recommendation for Jason Farman's book, "Mobile Interface Theory" (Routledge, 2012).

I too would love to see the syllabus if you're willing to share!

Best,
Lee

Lee Humphreys, PhD
Assistant Professor