[Air-L] Resistsocialmedia in Turkey: Press Release

F. Mutlu Binark binark at baskent.edu.tr
Wed Jun 12 14:52:41 PDT 2013

Alternative Informatics Association's Press Release
June 11, 2013
#DirenSosyalMedya (#ResistSocialMedia)
The wave of resistance which started at Gezi Park in Istanbul and spread
all over Turkey once again clearly revealed the deep connection between
real time communication of the social media and social movements. The
social media became the genuine news source in an environment in which the
mainstream media became the site of disinformation and inertia. But more
than that, the social media became indispensable with functioning as a
source of information for those who are in need of organization,
cooperation, solidarity, gathering evidence against security forces, and
medical and legal assistance. That’s why the social media, with
#DirenGeziParkı (#ResistGeziPark) was targeted by the Prime Minister and
government’s spokespersons.
The Prime Minister, in an interview declared that the social media is
“trouble maker” which is full of slander and lies. Vice-Prime Minister
Bülent Arınç, in his release after continuation of #DirenGeziParkı and
increase in protest, stated that the social media is a manipulation center
and they could block/cut off access if they wanted. Arınç’s statement was
unfortunate since it was an open threat.  AKP’s social media advisor Ali
Şahin by adding that “False tweet is more dangerous than a car bomb. Legal
arrangement regarding social media is a must,” gave some clues about
coming of a negative arrangement with dubious legal bases.
All statements of political power denoted the social media as unreliable,
full of slander and lies, and center of manipulation. Istanbul Governor
Hüseyin Avni Mutlu today mentioned a “social media operation.” Lastly,
Attorney General of the Republic in Ankara received a court decision to
investigate the cellular phones of 230 citizens in custody, most probably
in order for technical examination of communication and social media
sharing of citizens.
We object the scapegoating of the social media through marking and
cursing. Citizens, with the mediation of the social media found the
opportunity to instantly share the events on the streets with Turkey and
World opinion. Disproportionate use of force by the police, which was even
admitted by the Prime Minister, could came into question by the help of
the social media. Otherwise, authorities and those interested could not
have been informed. The social media filled the gap opened by mainstream
media which did not report the events and which stayed blind to the
events.  Many cases of violation of rights and police violence has been
documented by citizens and brought into world’s attention, and thus
prevented the further deterioration of events. Social media also played a
crucial role in rescue and treatment of the wounded people, and the ones
having asthma attacks and facing death. The social media saved lives.
To sum up, against the resources of political power, the social media has
turned into a conduit through which the citizens could make their voices
heard, and through which they could picture the injustices lived to the
world. As it was the case for the Arab Spring and Occupy protests before.
In absence of Internet and especially the social media, we don’t want to
even imagine the possible consequences of unlimited violence of political
power.

We are fearful that
The statements of powerful who are uncomfortable with tis role of social
media signals the increase in attempts for maintaining censorship and
control over the social media and Internet. Besides, monitoring
communication of citizens; illegally collecting personal information; and
pressuring citizens for declaring their views and support through the
social media are not acceptable. Up till now, the lawyers note that a look
at the files of people who were taken into custody because of their
Twitter shares reveals the fact that imputed accusations are not supported
by any evidence.
We are fearful about the AKP government will try to add new negative
regulations and applications to those we have criticized before such as
censorship law which is against basic rights and freedoms; content filter;
surveillance/discipline projects, and DPI. We are anxious about emergence
of new violations of rights and freedoms.
We declare that we will use every democratic right we have and follow all
possible legal paths against attempts which illegitimately limit and take
away the rights and freedoms of citizens in a democratic society, and
which violates the Constitution. We call political power to take a
peaceful and conscientious stand that will calm down citizens.
We call all citizens to claim their right to Internet access, which is a
basic human right, and to social media. We call all citizens to use these
conduits more effectively and accurately.  #ResistSocialMedia

Alternative Informatics Association / Alternatif Bilişim Derneği
@altbilisim

believed to be clean.