[Air-L] Future of Copyright Contest 2.0

Marcin Wilkowski marcin at wilkowski.org
Wed Jun 5 00:33:10 PDT 2013

Dear All,

if you're interested in actual copyright issues please look on this
annoucement: deadline for submissions is 1st July 2013:

It's hard to find a person who is pleased with the current shape of
the copyright system. In most countries. People who attempt to earn a
living from this system also try to have digital monitoring systems
work for them. Meanwhile, users are have less and less rights. "Lady
with an Ermine" is laughing about our battle to use her image (see
below). The public domain is shrinking. There are some efforts to
expropriate some of its areas. Therefore, user's rights are tightened.
There are new proposals on the table that focus on finding a way to
narrow fair use and to cut proposed exceptions for unprivileged people
(impaired or just living in Global South).

Therefore, once again we ask the following question: what should a
good copyright system look like? Is it possible to live without
sharing? Will artists dissapear if we make copyright less strict? Can
we make culture without artists?

Last year we received inspiring voices from people all over the world.
You can find them in the PDF format or in EPUB and MOBI at
http://nowoczesnapolska.org.pl/2012/05/24/future-of-copyright-contest-winner-announced/.

Let us also remind you all that the winner of first edition was
Aymeric Mansoux and his work Morphology of copyright tale. We
collected over 1000 USD (twice as much as what we asked for). We dare
to hope that this year will be at least as big a success as last year.

This is a crowdfounded contest for the best work about the future of
copyright. The idea is simple:

* You set the prize by supporting this project via
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/future-of-copyright-contest-2-0

* People submit their works for the contest. The deadline is 1st July 2013.

* Independent jury consisting of Mike Linksvayer (part-time Senior
Fellow at Creative Commons), Joe McNamee (Executive Director od EDRi)
and Jérémie Zimmermann (spokesperson and co-founder of the La
Quadrature du Net) and Jarosław Lipszyc (Modern Poland Foundation,
contest organizer) chooses the winner. The decision wil be announced
on 24th July 2013.

* The winner gets the prize. Society gets a number of fresh proposals
that will help shaping up the copyright system of tomorrow.

The higher the prize is, the more exposure our cause will receive. The
more people will participate in this debate, the more works on Future
of Copyright will be created.

Contest
This is simple. If you want to take part in the contest, publish the
work on the Internet and mail us at contest at nowoczesnapolska.org.pl.
Just follow these general rules:

1. On topic
The work may be of any kind (text, video, audio) and of any genre
(i.e. legal analisys, dystopian or utopian story, educational video -
sky is the limit here), but it must address the general subject of the
Future of Copyright. Your work has to be in English or you need to
provide an English translation.

2. Limited size
The size of the work is limited to 15,000 characters for text or 10
minutes for audio and video.

3. New and original
We accept only original works prepared specially for this contest. You
must have all the rights to the work. Team work is acceptable. If your
work is a remix, you need to provide the source for the works you
re-used.

4. Free license
The work must be published under the CC BY-SA 3.0 license. Your work
must visibly licensed as such in the place of first publication.

5. Properly tagged
The work must be tagged with the text: "This work takes part in the
Future of Copyright Contest" and a link to page
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/future-of-copyright-contest-2-0.

If you have any questions or doubts about the rules, just mail us at
contest at nowoczesnapolska.org.pl.

Prize

Exactly half of the money raised on
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/future-of-copyright-contest-2-0 goes
to the winner (or winners, if the prize is split). The other half will
be spent on perks and sending copies of the best works to people and
institutions engaged in the copyright debate. If any money is left
(which seems unlikely), we will spend it on our projects, providing
the world with better access to knowledge and culture, fully in line
with our mission.

--
Marcin Wilkowski
Strona domowa: http://wilkowski.org/

Historia i Media - historia i dziedzictwo w kulturze cyfrowej
http://historiaimedia.org