[Air-L] Social media as part of the public sphere?

Oriol Poveda poveda.aoir at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:05:14 PDT 2013

Thank you to everyone who contributed their ideas and suggestions, it was
extremely useful and interesting. Here a little list I compiled with the
suggestions on the topic:

 - Adamoli, G. C. E. (2012). *Social media and social movements: A critical
analysis of audience’s use of Facebook to advocate food activism
offline*(Ph.D.). The Florida State University, United States --
Florida. Retrieved
from
http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.its.uu.se/docview/1287170216/abstract?accountid=14715

- Bastos, M. T. (2012). Public Opinion Revisited: The propagation of
opinions in digital networks. *Journal of Arab & Muslim Media
Research*, *4*(2),
185–201. doi:10.1386/jammr.4.2-3.185_1

- Dean, J. (2003) Why the Net is Not a Public Sphere.
*Constellations*volume 10, issue 1, pp. 95-112 (March).

- Papacharissi, Z. (2010). *A Private Sphere: Democracy in a Digital Age*.
Cambridge: Polity Press.

- Poor, N. (2005). Mechanisms of an Online Public Sphere: The Website
Slashdot. *Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication*, *10*(2), 00–00.
doi:10.1111/j.1083-6101.2005.tb00241.x

- Valtysson, B. (2012). Facebook as a Digital Public Sphere: Processes of
Colonization and Emancipation. *tripleC: Communication, Capitalism &
Critique. Open Access Journal for a Global Sustainable Information Society*,
*10*(1), 77–91.

Plus some comments on more literature from Mathieu ONeil:

Lincoln Dalhberg has written several articles about the Internet as a
(Habermasian or not) public sphere, he also edited a book called Radical
Democracy and the Internet which may suit your purposes (once again before
the term "social media" became popular but the issues are the same)

There is also an article by Froomkin about Usenet as a form of PS (2003)
and more recently some Scandinavian scholars wrote a paper about whether WP
conformed to deliberative rationality, may be too specific for you.

I am glad to realise that the debate about social media and the public
sphere(s) is alive and well!

Cheers and thanks again,

Oriol

PS: regarding the offlist, I didn't expect many people to answer -
certainly not so fast - and since I do not check the AoIR list every day, I
preferred to give an  alternative email address that I check more
frequently so that I could respond in due time.