[Air-L] Two PhD positions, Department of Media and Communication, University of Oslo

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 15:46:29 PDT 2013

Dear AoIRists,

Please distribute the following announcement to potential candidates.
(Please also see my personal note, below.)

Two PhD positions in Media Studies are open at The Department of Media and
Communication (IMK <http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/> ). "Media Studies" is
defined here as the interdisciplinary study of the modern media, their form
and content, institutions and use, their political, social, cultural and
aesthetic contexts, using approaches from the Social Sciences and the
Humanities

The appointment is for a period of 3 years and the doctoral thesis is
expected to be completed within the given time frame.

The person appointed will be affiliated with the Faculty's organized
research training. The academic work must result in a doctoral thesis that
will be defended at the Faculty with a view to obtaining the degree of PhD.
The successful candidate is expected to join the existing research milieu or
network and contribute to its development. Read more about the doctoral
degree.
<http://www.hf.uio.no/english/research/doctoral-degree-and-career/phd/index.
html>

Qualifications

* A Master degree or equivalent. The master degree or equivalent has to be
achieved by the time of application.
Qualifications and personal skills
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on
* The applicant¹s academic and personal qualifications in order to execute
the project
* The applicant¹s ability to complete research training
* Good collaboration skills and an ability to join interdisciplinary
academic communities
* The project¹s scientific merit, research-related relevance and innovation
Applicants who have recently graduated with excellent results may also be
given preference.

We offer:
* Pay grade 50 - 56 (NOK 421 100-465 300 per year, depending on
qualifications)
* Professional development in a stimulating working environment
* Good welfare benefits

For additional information on submission requirements, etc., please see:
<http://uio.easycruit.com/vacancy/989777/62047?iso=gb>

I would also stress, based on both my experience as a new colleague in the
Department and fairly extensive involvement with our current PhD students
and post-docs: I believe it fair to say that we offer one of the most
supportive and collegial environments around for research, writing, and
teaching, most especially for PhD students. As well, the PhD position, in
contrast with those in many other places, provides a comfortable income as
well, along with generous social-welfare benefits. Finally, at the risk of
bragging (just a touch), the IMK stands comfortably among the top 40 best
media and communication departments in the world (QS World University
Ranking).

Many thanks in advance for passing this along.

- charles

Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication
Director, Centre for Research on Media Innovations
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/>

University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1093 Blindern
NO-0317