[Air-L] Understanding Social Media

Marj Kibby Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
Tue Jun 4 16:28:58 PDT 2013

Hi Kayla,

Currently developing a similar course, I found "Social Media" too broad and meaningless in developing course topics.
So I've ended up with things like:

Twitter in politics
Facebook in organisations
Wikis and collaborative creation
Social tagging and music classification

Cheers,
Marj

Associate Professor Marjorie Kibby, B.Ed, M.A, Ph.D, FHERDSA
Director, Student Experience FEDUA
School of Humanities and Social Science
The University of Newcastle  Callaghan NSW 2308 Australia
Marj.Kibby at newcastle.edu.au
+61 2 49216604
>>> "Kayla D. Hales" <haleskay at msu.edu> 05/06/13 7:59 AM >>>
Hello All,

I am designing a new Masters level course titled "Understanding Social
Media." Information from the course description is below. If any of you have
taken or taught similar courses or have ideas about the most relevant
content to include in the course, I would greatly appreciate you sharing
those thoughts/that content; this includes any journal articles or syllabi
you have personally written/created. Thank you in advance.

Course objectives: To develop an understanding of social media and their
implications.

Outline of major topics:

1.      Social media in politics

2.      Social media applications

3.      Social media technologies

4.      Social media uses

5.      Social media effects

6.      Social media in organizations

7.      Social media research

8.      Trends in social media industries

9.      Mobile and location-based social media

10.  Social media for interpersonal communication

--

Best Regards,

Kayla D. Hales, Ph.D.

Email:  <mailto:HalesKay at msu.edu> HalesKay at msu.edu

Assistant Professor

Michigan State University

College of Communication Arts & Sciences