[Air-L] Social media as part of the public sphere?

Nathaniel Poor natpoor at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 04:29:35 PDT 2013

Oriol your question is a bit problematic, because of course social media can be considered a public sphere -- it just depends on how you want to define these things.

The public sphere was supposed to be (with all of the caveats from Calhoun's great collection) where people discussed things without regard to social standing but actually had several restrictions and caveats, and then was overwhelmed by advertising (it's been a while since I've read it though).
The online world is just like that (with lots of exceptions and disagreements of course). Usernames so we might judge what a person says, but we don't know who they are, and of course digital divides and skill divides and access divides and such. And much of it is now driven by advertising and commercial interests, it didn't use to be that way. (If anything, perhaps it could be argued that Twitter is far more open, but spaces like Facebook with privacy settings can work in a different manner due to reach.)

I don't think something that can be dealt with (albeit simplistically) in a paragraph would get an anthology, perhaps just a paper (now I will spend about two days fearing I've insulted someone who worked really hard to get such an anthology out and is on-list). You could have an anthology of examples, but the question itself isn't very interesting.

Instead of just "the public sphere" (emphasis on "the"), I might consider a public sphere, public spheres, counter-publics, and other things, all in one big mix.

Here's my probably horribly outdated paper based on my dissertation (written in 2003) from before the term "social media" was a thing, but it's about a social medium and the PS (and well really mechanisms of code and norms, I think, I wonder if I cite Lessig). Might be useful for the cites and which papers have cited it.
http://jcmc.indiana.edu/vol10/issue2/poor.html
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?oi=bibs&hl=en&cites=933556333926564292

-Nat.