[Air-L] ASIS&T Changes Its Name, Enhances Its Global Mission

Richard Hill rhill at asis.org
Fri Mar 1 08:55:46 PST 2013

{Apologies for duplication]

ASIS&T Changes Its Name, Enhances Its Global Mission

With nearly 90% of all ballots cast voting in favor of a name change, the American Society for Information Science and Technology has become the Association for Information Science and Technology.

While the ASIS&T acronym stays the same, the name change recognizes the growing influence of ASIS&T in the international arena. The opportunities and challenges with respect to the science and technology of information are increasingly international in focus and scope. ASIS&T supports members around the globe in addressing these opportunities and challenges.

When 2012 ASIS&T president Diane H. Sonnenwald, in collaboration with 2011 president Linda C. Smith,  2013 president Andrew Dillon, and 2014 president Harry Bruce, called for a membership vote on the name change issue, she said, “The word American in our name often makes it difficult for individuals outside the United States to receive recognition for belonging to and participating in ASIS&T. It also fails to recognize the important contributions members outside the United States make to our association and to our discipline.”

In addition, Sonnenwald noted that increasing international participation in ASIS&T will provide additional opportunities for all members to learn from and share expertise and knowledge with colleagues who have different expertise and knowledge.

Currently 18% of ASIS&T members reside outside the United States in 52 different countries. At the recent 75th Anniversary ASIS&T Annual Meeting, attendees came from 25 countries, with 22% coming from countries other than the United States. In addition, ASIS&T runs successful international conferences, notably the annual European Information Architecture Summit, and will hold its 2013 Annual Meeting in Montreal, Canada.

The new name reflects the commitment of our members to international cooperation and global efforts to increase the influence of information science in education, research and applications to ensure the best access, management and use of information in an increasingly interconnected world.

All contact points, including web address, e-mail, phone, address, etc. will remain the same.

Richard Hill
Executive Director
American Society for Information Science and Technology
1320 Fenwick Lane, Suite 510
Silver Spring, MD  20910
FAX: (301) 495-0810
(301) 495-0900