[Air-L] Possible adopters, Digital Media Ethics, 2nd edition?

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 23:46:29 PDT 2013

Dear AoIR friends and colleagues,

(with apologies in advance to any of you who experience this as a form of
unwanted spam.  My reason for sending this to the AoIR list is that the book
and its revisions are so deeply indebted to AoIR colleagues, the work of the
ethics committee, and conference presentations and discussions that AoIR
seems to me the book's first and most natural home.)

The second (substantially revised and thoroughly updated) edition of my
book, Digital Media Ethics (Polity Press) will come out later this year, I'm
very happy to say. I've appended the blurb at the end of this note.

In the meantime, however, Polity would like me to develop a list of possible
adopters of the book: the possible adopters will then be sent an inspection
copy of the book for review.

So: if you would like to be included in the list, please send me your
indication of interest along with exact contact details - name, address,
email address, and phone number - so that Polity can contact you as needed.

(You can send these to either my gmail account or UiO account:
<c.m.ess at media.uio.no>)

Along these lines, if anyone has recommendations for journals that would be
interested in reviewing the new book, I would very much appreciate that
information as well.

Thanks in advance, and best in the meantime,
-charles

Associate Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication

Director, Centre for Research on Media Innovations
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/>

University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1093 Blindern
NO-0317
Oslo Norway
email: c.m.ess at media.uio.no

The blurb:
The original edition of this accessible and interdisciplinary textbook was
the first to consider the ethical issues of digital media from a global
perspective, introducing ethical theories from multiple cultures. This
second edition has been thoroughly updated to cover current research and
scholarship, and recent developments and technological changes, particularly
the dominance of Internet access via mobile devices. The new edition also
benefits from extensively updated case-studies and pedagogical material,
incorporating more recent scholarship as well as examples of ³watershed²
events and developments, including privacy policy changes on Facebook,
Google+, and others, in relation to on-going changes in privacy law in the
U.S., the E.U., and Asia.
  New for the second edition are sections on friendship online,
democratization, and Œcitizen journalism¹ and its implications for
traditional journalistic ethics. With a significantly updated section on the
Œethical toolkit¹, this book will also introduce students to prevailing
ethical theories and illustrate how they are applied to central issues in
digital media ethics. Topics covered include privacy, copyright, pornography
and violence, and the ethics of cross-cultural communication online.
  Digital Media Ethics is student- and classroom-friendly: each topic and
theory is interwoven throughout the volume with detailed sets of questions
that foster careful reflection upon, writing about, and discussion of these
issues and their possible resolutions. Each chapter includes additional
resources and suggestions for further research and writing.