[Air-L] Big Data texts

Jason Rhody jasonrhody at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 12:37:12 PST 2013

Dear Mark,
You might find the website for the "Digging into Data Challenge" (
www.diggingintodata.org) a useful resource.  The Digging into Data
Challenge is an international grant competition created by the National
Endowment for the Humanities that involves ten research funders
representing Canada, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United
States (the National Science Foundation and the Institute for Museum and
Library Services are the other two US funders).

We are currently soliciting applications for round 3 of this competition,
but for your purposes, you might find a lot of useful material based on the
first round of funding, including a report from the Council on Library and
Information Resources (CLIR): "One Culture. Computationally Intensive
Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences: A Report on the Experiences
of First Respondents to the Digging Into Data Challenge" (
http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub151).

Since the projects require diverse collaborative teams from a variety
of disciplinary backgrounds and nationalities, you get a nice mix of
qualitative and quantitative methodologies against the backdrop of some
interesting research material (such as data mining historical crime using
nearly 200,000 trials across nearly 250 years in the Old Bailey archives -
http://criminalintent.org/).  Furthermore, many projects have robust
project websites and blogs.

The Digging website also has a healthy list of available data repositories:
http://www.diggingintodata.org/Home/Repositories/tabid/167/Default.aspx

Hope you and your students find these resources useful.

(And, as an aside, anyone interested in applying for a Digging into Data
grant should also visit diggingintodata.org for the submission guidelines
-- the deadline is May 15, 2013).

With kind regards,
Jason

--