[Air-L] Diversity and Mentoring in the IETF (was Re: Contribution about Kim DotCom)

Andrew Russell arussell at stevens.edu
Thu Mar 14 13:24:27 PDT 2013

I don't want to get in the middle of this discussion :-)  but it reminded me of a loosely related topic that has been flowing through my email the last few days.  Contributors to the Internet Engineering Task Force discussion list <http://www.ietf.org/list/discussion.html> have been debating the need for "Diversity in IETF Leadership" and "Mentoring."  It seems to me that someone who could engage them on these issues - about which they seem to be earnest, if not terribly sophisticated - could make a significant and meaningful contribution to the IETF's policies and practices.

For the 2 threads on "Diversity in IETF Leadership" and "Mentoring," see

https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=48&gid=0&k1=933&k3=12158&tid=1363291991
https://www.ietf.org/ibin/c5i?mid=6&rid=48&gid=0&k1=933&k3=12174&tid=1363292321

Cheers,

Andy

On Mar 14, 2013, at 4:02 PM, Ellis Godard <ellis.godard at csun.edu> wrote:

> I "get" giving a voice to a gender he's trampled.
> I don't buy that the author's gender matters in doing that.
> -eg

Andrew L. Russell, Ph.D.
Director, Program in Science & Technology Studies
Assistant Professor, History
College of Arts & Letters
Stevens Institute of Technology
Hoboken, New Jersey 07030