[Air-L] Big Data for undergrads

Mark D. Johns mjohns at luther.edu
Fri Mar 1 07:22:17 PST 2013

A number of people asked me to share the results of my request, from a few
days ago, for recommended readings on Big Data suitable for undergraduate
students. My thanks to all who were willing to share. The results are
compiled below. Any errors in classification or details are mine alone.
--
Mark D. Johns, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Communication Studies

*Readings in “Big Data” appropriate for advanced undergraduates
(2013-MAR-01)

Bibliographies
Weigel, M. (2012, Sept. 20). What is Big Data? Research roundup, reading
list. Journalist’s Resource.
http://journalistsresource.org/studies/economics/business/what-big-data-research-roundup#

Introductory Articles
Anderson, J. & Rainie, L. (2012, July) Pew Internet & American Life
Projectreport: “The
Future of Big Data.”
http://www.elon.edu/e-web/predictions/expertsurveys/2012survey/future_Big_Data_2020.xhtml

Bollier, D. (2010). “The Promise and Peril of Big Data.” (excerpt)
http://www.aspeninstitute.org/sites/default/files/content/docs/pubs/The_Promise_and_Peril_of_Big_Data.pdf

boyd, d. & Crawford, K. (2012). Critical Questions for Big Data.
<http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/1369118X.2012.678878>Information,
Communication & Society, 15:5, 662-679. doi:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2012.678878

Critical Articles
Anderson, Chris (2008). “The End of Theory, Will the Data Deluge Makes the
Scientific
Method Obsolete?” Edge.
http://www.edge.org/3rd_culture/anderson08/anderson08_index.html

Berry, David M. (2011). The Computational Turn: Thinking About the Digital
Humanities.
Culture Machine, 12.
http://www.culturemachine.net/index.php/cm/article/view/440/470

Latour, Bruno (2009). “Tarde’s idea of quantification.” The Social After
Gabriel Tarde: Debates
and Assessments. Ed. Mattei Candea. Routledge, London, pp. 145-162.
http://www.bruno-latour.fr/articles/article/116-TARDE-CANDEA.pdf

Manovich, Lev. "Trending: The Promises and the Challenges of Big Social
Data." Debates in
the Digital Humanities, edited by Matthew K. Gold. The University of
Minnesota Press,
forthcoming 2012. http://www.manovich.net/DOCS/Manovich_trending_paper.pdf

Tooling Up for Digital Humanities: Digitization. Stanford University, 2011.
http://toolingup.stanford.edu/?page_id=123

Shirky, Clay (2005). “Ontology is Overrated.”
http://www.shirky.com/writings/ontology_overrated.html

Analysis
Lee, A. M., Lewis, S. C., & Powers, M. J. (2012, Nov. 20). Audience clicks
and news placement: A study of time-lagged influence in online
journalism. Communication
Research. DOI: 10.1177/0093650212467031. Paper available at:
http://bit.ly/QbSXS7

Books
Cukier, K. & Mayer-Schonberger, V. (2013). Big Data: A Revolution That Will
Transform How We Live, Work and Think. Eamon Dolan/Houghton Mifflin
Harcourt. (256 pages)

Rogers, Richard (2013). Digital Methods. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. (280
pages)

Stanton, J. (2013). Introduction to Data Science.
http://jsresearch.net/groups/teachdatascience/

Textbooks
Marz, N. & Warren, J. (2012). Big Data: Principles and best practices of
scalable realtime data systems. Westampton, NJ: Manning e-book available at
http://manning.com/marz/ Softbound print in Fall 2013 (425 pages).

Wikileaks Issues
Lynch, Lisa (2010). “A Toxic Archive of Digital Sunshine: Wikileaks and the
Archiving of
Secrets.” Paper presented at the MIT6 conference, Cambridge, MA.
http://web.mit.edu/comm-forum/mit6/papers/Lynch.pdf

Lovink, Geert and Patrice Riemens (2010). “Twelve Theses on WikiLeaks,”
Eurozine. http://www.eurozine.com/articles/2010-12-07-lovinkriemens-en.html

Stalder, Felix (2010). “Contain this! Leaks, whistle−blowers and the
networked news
ecology.” Eurozine.
http://www.eurozine.com/articles/2010-11-29-stalder-en.html

Sterling, Bruce (2010), “The Blast Shack,” Webstock.
http://www.webstock.org.nz/blog/2010/the-blast-shack/

Žižek, Slavoj (2011). “Good Manners in the Age of WikiLeaks,” The London
Review of
Books, 33:2, 9-10.
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n02/slavoj-zizek/good-manners-in-the-ageof-wikileaks

Video
Castells, M. (2011), “From WikiLeaks to Wiki-revolutions,” SONIC Media,
Technology
and Society Speaker Series, Lecture on 8 March 2011 at Northwestern
University, Video
Registration available at:
http://lecture.soc.northwestern.edu/mediasite/Viewer/?peid=4e192796ace943fabf8172b463ce74381d
*