[Air-L] approval of the new AOIR ethics document

Annette Markham amarkham at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 14:10:46 PST 2013

Dear Friends,

 **

Ethical Decision-Making and Internet Research:

Recommendations from the AoIR Ethics Working Committee (Version 2.0)

**

It is with great pleasure we announce that the 2012 AOIR Ethics guidelines
document was approved by an overwhelming majority of the general membership
of the Association of Internet Researchers and is finally available online.

You can find the 2012 document at http://aoir.org/documents/ethics-guide/,
along with a link to the wiki, where we’re starting to build a compendium
of resources that we hope will continue to grow. http://ethics.aoir.org/

This 2012 document does not replace the 2002 guidelines, but lives
alongside and builds from it.  We hope both documents continue to provide a
useful resource for researchers, students, academic institutions, and
regulatory bodies.

The 2012 document reflects nearly four years of collaborative effort of the
ethics working committee.  As with the first document, we believe it
represents the diversity of the general membership, but is by no means the
final word.  The ethics working committee will continue to explore and
debate how new experiences, issues and insights affiliated with Internet
research evoke ethical challenges and demand ethically justifiable
resolutions.

We want to say thanks to the many AOIR members who contributed in a variety
of ways to the document, especially our fellow members of the 2002-2012
ethics working committee.

Thanks to:

Maria Bakardjeiva, (Canada),

Andrea Baker (USA),

David Brake (UK),

Charles Ess (Norway)

Radhika Gajjala (USA)

Camilla Gronholm (Finland)

Jeremy Hunsinger (Canada)

Mark D. Johns (USA)

Steve Jones (USA)

Stine Lomborg (Denmark)

Heidi McKee (USA)

Jim Porter (USA)

Soraj Hongladaram (Thailand)

Janet Salmons (USA)

Susannah Stern (USA)

Eva Svedmark (Sweden)

Leslie Tkach (Japan)

Leslie Regan Shade (Canada)

Michele White (USA)

Michael Zimmer (USA)

Thanks for distributing this new resource widely among your networks and
colleagues.  If you have any questions or want to contribute to the wiki
(hint hint), please don’t hesitate to email us,

Best Regards

Annette Markham and Elizabeth Buchanan

amarkham at gmail.com

buchanane at uwstout.edu

Annette N. Markham, Ph.D.
Guest Professor, Department of Informatics, Umeå University, Sweden
Affiliate Professor, School of Communication, Loyola University, Chicago
amarkham at gmail.com
http://markham.internetinquiry.org/
Twitter: annettemarkham