[Air-L] call for participants for AOIR panel - That was Then, This is Now

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 08:08:50 PDT 2013

We would like to have one or two more people on a panel for AOIR on
social change.

Please let me know if you would be interested in participating on the
following panel:

That was Then, This is Now

This panel begins with a thought exercise.Each panelist has chosen a
classic text from their home discipline and asks: what would happen if
the author of that text revisited that topic today, using tools,
techniques, or perspectives shaped by recent innovations in information
technology and/or the digital humanities?We are building on a question
that one of our panelists, the historian of computing Nathan Ensmenger,
asks in his article "The Digital Construction of Technology: Rethinking
the History of Computers in Society," about Bruno Latour's ground
breaking ethnography of scientific practice, Laboratory Life.If Latour
were to revisit the Salk Institute, what would he make of the pervasive
presence of computers, computer-based instruments, and computational
metaphors?How would this change the ways in which he did his research,
his interpretation of the role of (increasingly digital) inscription
devices, or his conclusions about the ways in which social interaction
shapes the formation of scientific knowledge?Each of our panelists will
perform a similar thought experiment as a starting point for thinking
about the historical transformations happening both to one's object of
analysis and to the practice of scholarship in the Internet era.

Please keep in mind that abstracts are due March 13th.
Apologies for the short notice,
Ilana