[Air-L] Interoperability issues in "Big Data"?

Matthias Leese matthias.leese at izew.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Mar 7 05:36:52 PST 2013

Dear list,

I am a political scientist involved in security studies. Recently, I
have become increasingly interested in the application of algorithmic
data mining in security operations. Although, from conversations with
practicioners, I get the feeling that the promise of Big Data as a
powerful tool for security governance might be rather a desire than
something that is actually happening.

Public authorities seem to experience a number of problems in terms of
data sharing, thus thwarting the creation of security-related Big Data
warehouses in the first place. Since my disciplinary background does not
exactly enable me to assess these issues, my question would be: could
anyone provide some hints at good literature that deals with
interoperability problems of databases (in a way that someone from
outside the IT community can follow)?

Best wishes and thanks in advance,
Matthias

--