[Air-L] Help recruiting and enrolling participants in Twitter study

Benjamin Gleason horns2k at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 06:41:37 PDT 2013

Hi there. My name is Benjamin Gleason and I'm a 2nd year PhD student at
Michigan State University. I'm currently doing a study that explores the
digital literacy practices and identity performances of high school aged
Twitter users. The study design is composed of two stages-- the first will
be a discourse analysis of tweets and the second will be semi-structured
interview about their Twitter practices. I've received IRB approval for my
study and am ready to recruit and enroll participants, who I've been
following on Twitter for the past 4-6 weeks or so.

Anecdotally, I've seen a lot of interesting identity-work happening and
would like to get the young people I've been following to participate in
the study. I invited a few of the participants to join the study, but the
response has been limited.

I was hoping to find participants through Twitter who may be interested in
participating, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for how to recruit participants
(aged 15-18) to join my study. The requirements of the study *seem* pretty
minimal-- only one (or maybe two) interviews about their Twitter use. But
I'm having a hard time getting young people to participate. Your help is
appreciated.

Thanks and have a great day :)

--
p: 415-516-6240

 https://sites.google.com/site/bwgleason (research)
http://www.progroup.us <http://www.prospectusgroup.us> (consulting)

"For every single idea of a judicious and reasonable nature which offers
itself to us, what hosts of frivilous, bizarre, and absurd ideas cross our
mind."
[Paul Soriau, Theory of Invention, 1881]