[Air-L] Seapunk query for a colleague

Guillaume Heuguet guillaume at inparadisum.net
Fri Mar 8 14:44:39 PST 2013

Hello Meryl,

I don't have academic work in mind regarding this, but you can look for
music critics such as Adam Harper (
http://dummymag.com/features/2012/07/12/adam-harper-vaporwave/),  There
have been some quite general commentary about seapunk, I found this one in
my research history :
http://flavorwire.com/346153/do-seapunks-have-a-right-to-be-pissed-at-rihanna
.

Also this New Yorker article on Harlem Shake has been raising the point of
internet-centric aesthetics  :
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/sashafrerejones/2013/02/shake-what-your-internet-friend-gave-you.html#ixzz2LiZ2yrLo
.

Also, there are the old "month in : genre" columns on Pitchfork (
http://pitchfork.com/search/?query=month+in&min_year=1999&max_year=2008)
and I have a Tim Finney article on the short path of "UK Funky" if that
might be of some interest. We published the article in french for the music
review I handle, Audimat, but I can look for the original english file in
my files.

I hope this helps. Keep me informed with what you find, as this is a topic
of interest for me. In fact I have been reflecting on my own master thesis,
a few years ago, about the dynamics of music genres using the work on
litterature of Gerard Genette and Jean-Marie Schaeffer, among others.

Best,

Guillaume