[Air-L] Let's talk about AoIR.

Deller, Ruth A R.A.Deller at shu.ac.uk
Fri May 31 08:19:55 PDT 2013

Perhaps that is the very thing we should talk about - is the mailing list still the best environment for discussion, or has it become largely a technology (in academia anyway) of information?  I'm on a bunch of academic mailing lists, but the conversation is usually CFPs, job ads and sometimes requests for help.  Discussion is rare - and Air-L is one of the most 'discuss-y' of those I'm on even then.

I discuss things all the time pertaining to AOIR... face-to-face, on Twitter... on Facebook... on blogs (or via reading others' blogs)... in forums... and in email too - but less so.  Email once felt like a dynamic medium, now it doesn't really.  I'm not saying we 'take it all to Twitter' or blogs, that'd be madness, as I think the list is still incredibly useful but maybe we ought to think about whether our discussion can thrive elsewhere as well?