[Air-L] Voting Open & A Question for Candidates

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri May 24 07:21:26 PDT 2013

On May 24, 2013, at 10:14 AM, "Deller, Ruth A" <R.A.Deller at shu.ac.uk> wrote:

> I think the idea of multiple events has some merit - in addition to your sponsorship suggestions, perhaps we can even out forward AOIR-affiliated panels at other large conferences?

I think there was some discussion about this in the past, and there were concerns about branding and cross-branding AoIR in regards to affiliating with other organizations.  In my recollection, the early decision on this was to allow the members to form their own panels at other conferences ad hoc, but not have them branded AoIR.

> Re: streaming - I've seen a lot of people asking for streaming on the Twitter feeds the past couple of IR conferences, although they may be a minority  - there are probably other ways of interactive participation for those not physically present that we can look at - Twitter's obviously one, but it often ends up being reportage and comment from the people there and maybe we could look at ways of having more dialogue/interaction with those not there.  And we should bring back Terri's kissing booth ;)  I do think that as an internet-research organisation, we could be using the internet a lot more than we are...

Always true, but then we have the problem of labor-time of volunteers also.  This is why I think that more member involvement helps to solve some of this issue, because it distributes the labors.

> I think we both agree - and so do pretty much all the candidates from their statements - that widening participation is really key to the future of AOIR.  I'm sure we're all open to suggestions from members about how that can happen though, especially those who have felt distanced from things so far or have struggled to get to conferences.

yes, i think we both agree about this.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Communication Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech

--Pablo Picasso