[Air-L] Let's Talk About AoIR

Rhiannon Bury bury417 at yahoo.ca
Fri May 31 18:32:22 PDT 2013

Great response Lori. You rock! :)

I totally get receiving too many great submissions and having to make hard choices.  But investing all that time writing a short paper, fiddling around with formatting etc makes that rejection even more disappointing. We expect that with a journal submission but for a conference abstract? I still firmly believe that the potential of a paper can still be assessed in 600 words. I would also never use more than 2 reviewers unless there was a complete difference of opinion.

If we don't want to go with "tracks", and we want to remain interdisciplinary, then we need to work on the proposal guidelines so that they do not disadvantage submissions  based in humanities and or cultural studies that are primarily theoretical engagements. (I don't want to say theoretically-based because I would hope much empirical work would be theoretically informed). Cultural studies papers do not have "Methodology" sections. They do not have "Discussions of Findings." So some "and/or" phrasing will be needed. One suggestion would be to is add a place on the form to indicate "discipline(s)".   Reviewers should also specify their disciplinary orientation not just their areas of interest or expertise.

best

Rhiannon