[Air-L] Internet Historiography

Denise N. Rall denrall at yahoo.com
Sun May 19 18:02:16 PDT 2013

Ah -

Campbell-Kelly, M., & Aspray, W. (1996). Computer: A history of the information machine. New York: Basic Books. 2nd edition 2004.

Is pretty clear about the industrial-military precedents.

Likewise

Abbate, Janet. (2000). Inventing the internet. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

In particular, technological advances during WWII were then harnessed to commercial enterprises (see histories of IBM)

My own modest contribution in this area:
Rall,
Denise N. 2006. “The ‘house that Dick built’: Constructing the team that built the bomb”
Research Note: Social Studies of Science 36: 943-957.

 Cheers, Denise

Dr Denise N. Rall, Adjunct Lecturer, School of Arts & Social Sciences
Chair of Textiles stream, Secretary-in-Waiting, Popular Culture Australia-New Zealand
Currently in Lismore, NSW, Australia
Phones - Mobile +(61)(0)438 233344 Fax +(61)(0)2 6624 5380