[Air-L] Let's talk about AoIR.

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri May 31 08:24:32 PDT 2013

I agree there are other possibilities than email for discussion, though a few have been tried in the past to greater and lesser degrees for the organization.  we also have the irc channel, we used to have and probably still have a full jabber system, the video system we used to have is gone though, but there are other capabilities we could use like twitter, facebook, zotero, and other tech.  but i'm also wondering about the other issues people might see.
On May 31, 2013, at 11:19 AM, "Deller, Ruth A" <R.A.Deller at shu.ac.uk> wrote:

> Perhaps that is the very thing we should talk about - is the mailing list still the best environment for discussion, or has it become largely a technology (in academia anyway) of information?  I'm on a bunch of academic mailing lists, but the conversation is usually CFPs, job ads and sometimes requests for help.  Discussion is rare - and Air-L is one of the most 'discuss-y' of those I'm on even then.
>
> I discuss things all the time pertaining to AOIR... face-to-face, on Twitter... on Facebook... on blogs (or via reading others' blogs)... in forums... and in email too - but less so.  Email once felt like a dynamic medium, now it doesn't really.  I'm not saying we 'take it all to Twitter' or blogs, that'd be madness, as I think the list is still incredibly useful but maybe we ought to think about whether our discussion can thrive elsewhere as well?

Jeremy Hunsinger
Communication Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
-Jules de Gaultier

() ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
/\ - against microsoft attachments