[Air-L] ethics and listservs

maxigas maxigas at anargeek.net
Fri May 3 10:07:04 PDT 2013

From: Rhiannon Bury <bury417 at yahoo.ca>
Subject: [Air-L] ethics and listservs
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 09:38:56 -0700 (PDT)

> My feeling that it is completely unethical though because it is not
> formal research, it probably falls outside the purview of the
> Research Ethics Board. Still it does name names--had he just
> presented aggregated data grouped by Faculty, I don't think anyone
> would have said much of anything.  It would be like me collecting
> data on everyone's posts here and then presenting my findings with
> your names here out of the blue

integrity of data was not harmed, no data breach happened -- before
and after the event the same people can access the same data. if the
person released findings outside the mailing list, that could be
problematic. but just to show what can be done with the data that all
members have access to is a good thing. it's also something that can
be called research, although not professional. if some people find the
results surprising, it could have a positive educational effect. if
you don't like that the data you produce can be digested in this way,
you should refine your data handling / security / etc. policies, not
shoot the messenger!

ps: maybe you are trying to use 'ethics' here just to disqualify the
arguments of another person in a debate? (just a hunch.)

maxigas, kiberpunk

When people say “society” i usually ask myself who the fuck is this society. ~ Angelo Lucia

--

 * *  |metatron
*   * |research

FA00 8129 13E9 2617 C614  0901 7879 63BC 287E D166