[Air-L] Voting Open & A Question for Candidates

jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Fri May 24 07:07:59 PDT 2013

In my memory... there has been at least 3 proposals for streaming type talks at the conference and at least 1 committee established to try to make it happen.

I think that the answer is less of 'stream talks'  because if that was going to happen, it would have achieved critical mass to make it happen by now as we have the people with technical understanding and capacity in our membership to make it happen.  I suspect that people don't really want streaming, but what they do want, as I indicated in my nomination information is more opportunity to participate.  I think that is really about more opportunities to network and share research in face to face environments.  This is why i suggested that we should 'distribute the association activities', or in other words, we should sponsor or co-sponsor small events at other conferences in places away from the other conference.  For instance if the International Studies Association is in Budapest and we have members there, we could sponsor a small event there, or similar activities with any scholarly association.   The idea is to put AoIR members in closer contact with each other by using their other disciplinary and interdisciplinary associations as venues for AoIR.  In conjunction with those activities, I suggest we start activities that bond our association together better, such as Mentoring, restarting the Birds of Feather lunches, and making our 'web and email space' more actively available to member interaction, which it is now somewhat, but we only have 2 or 3 other email groups existing and I think that mostly those groups are non-functioning, such as the graduate student list, the political economy and policy list, etc.  Advertising those more and providing more of those, will I think allow us to grow both deeper and broader in our membership.     If the goal is to get people involved in novel and interesting ways, I think we should be providing the infrastructure for that involvement.

Jeremy Hunsinger
Communication Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech

--Pablo Picasso