[Air-L] Call for Participation: IR14 Preconf on Microcredentials

Alexander Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Thu May 30 09:17:18 PDT 2013

Representing personal history, ability, and reputation online:
Microcredentials, badges, endorsements, and other mechanisms

With the momentous changes in social media use in professional
contexts, and the rapid evolution of learning ecologies and
experimentation with different kinds of learning online, the need to
present experience and expertise to new communities is now more
pressing than ever. The ways in which individuals formally construct
their identities for multiple publics is also changing. While the
traditional resume or biography remains important, we are finding new
ways of explicitly summarizing our traces online and communicating
these experiences to various publics.

During this half-day pre-conference, attendees will present recently
completed work and work in progress that addresses badges,
microcredentials, reputation economies, markers of expertise, and
related work. Our emphasis will be on empirical work that draws on a
range of approaches to understand how reputation, experience, and
expertise are made visible, regulated, and shared within online
contexts and across contexts. The time will be split between a small
number of presentations of more completed work, and thematic
discussions around broader questions and research agendas for the
area.

Thanks to support through the Digital Media and Learning Competition,
the pre-conference and lunch is free of charge to participants but
there will a limited number of seats. If you are interested in
participating, please submit a one-page (max) brief of your research
and interests with a brief bio, to Alexander.Halavais at asu.edu by June
15, 2013.

//
// This email is
// [x] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
// [ ] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
//
// Alexander C. Halavais, ciberflâneur
// http://alex.halavais.net
//
// Please attribute any stupid errors above to autocorrect on my phone.
// (But I probably was typing on a keyboard.)