[Air-L] Travel grants (was: Let's talk about AoIR)

Alexander Halavais halavais at gmail.com
Thu May 30 11:16:54 PDT 2013

Hello, Eduardo:

There is a small travel grant available, which will not cover travel
from most places but may help. And those applying from Asia, Africa,
and South America are particularly targeted. More information here:
http://aoir.org/ir14-0-travel-grant-applications/

A list of our keynote and plenaries may be found here:
http://ir14.aoir.org/speakers/

Hope to see you in Denver.

Best,

Alex

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:09 AM, eduardo erazo acosta
<rueduardo2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> results a bad refereeing process. I think the 500 word limit favors
>> those who can write good abstracts. I count myself in that number--my
>> longer work may not be that great, but I write an awesome 500 word
>> abstract. That said, there were no such limits on roundtables, and
>> some of the proposals were quite short.
>>
>> We have allowed full papers for the last couple (three?) years, but
>> the number of papers submitted was vanishingly small, and a
>> nine-thousand word paper requires a disproportionate amount of
>> reviewer time.
>>
>> REVIEWING
>>
>> Finally, on the issue of reviews, I want to thank those who
>> volunteered to review this year. I'll note that many of you did not,
>> meaning that (a) your expertise was missing when it came to assign
>> reviews and (b) the reviewers who were assigned often had more reviews
>> than we have assigned in the past. I agree we need to provide better
>> guidance to reviewers, and some of you (reviewers and authors) will
>> hear from me soon about helping shape that process. But the first step
>> is to be willing to put time into reviewing.
>>
>> I just want to be very clear that there was a range of excellent
>> reviewing and reviewing that could have been much better, from a range
>> of early-career scholars and more experienced reviewers. Regardless of
>> this, I think our reviewers deserve a significant amount of praise and
>> respect for volunteering to review.
>>
>> Alex
>>

>> On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Jeremy hunsinger <jhunsinger at wlu.ca>
>> wrote:
>> > I think the problem in part is that it was a template that said it was
>> > for a
>> > paper, and not a template that said it was for a proposal or abstract.
>> > This combined with the required length, added considerably to the lack
>> > of
>> > clarity. I think we need to go back to the 'those that need to submit
>> > full
>> > papers for them to count, can submit full papers' but those papers are
>> > not
>> > automatically submitted for publication, and the other track should be a
>> > simple 500 word abstract, or longer panel abstract. the clarity of the
>> > two
>> > track system was again slightly problematic, but it was inclusive in
>> > ways
>> > that this system is not

>> --
>> --
>> //
>> // This email is
>> // [ ] assumed public and may be blogged / forwarded.
>> // [x] assumed to be private, please ask before redistributing.
>> //
>> // Alexander C. Halavais, ciberflâneur
>> // http://alex.halavais.net
>> //
>> // Please attribute any stupid errors above to autocorrect on my phone.
>> // (But I probably was typing on a keyboard.)

//