[Air-L] YouTube Data

Jenni Powell jenni.powell at gmail.com
Thu May 23 16:43:55 PDT 2013

A resource you might find useful is http://vidstatsx.com/.

It's not the prettiest site in the world but a lot of it's stats are easier
to find than on YouTube.  It's particularly useful for tracking the top 100
channels.

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:45 PM, amanda brennan <amandalbrennan at gmail.com>wrote:

> @Alex, is this the YouTube network visualization you were thinking of?
>
> https://blogs.k-state.edu/it-news/2013/04/08/the-nodexl-series-conducting-a-data-extraction-of-a-youtube-video-network-part-7/It
> seems similar to what you were mentioning.
>
> @Megan, while it's not exactly what you're looking for, Know Your Meme
> scrapes Facebook shares & Twitter link statistics to any video uploaded to
> the site, if you're looking for easy access to those stats. They're on the
> right side of the page <http://knowyourmeme.com/videos/66265-vine> under
> the description.
>
> amanda is an internet scientist.
> know your meme <http://www.knowyourmeme.com/users/amandab--3>
> memelibrarian.com
> tweets about cats <http://www.twitter.com/continuants>
>

> On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM, Alex Leavitt <alexleavitt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Megan,
> >
> > I've been working on a YouTube data project for about a year now. The
> kind
> > of granularity that you're asking for doesn't reeeeally exist... but you
> > can get data for users and video metadata, but you'd also need some
> skills
> > dealing with YouTube's API. You can theoretically string together a
> network
> > of recommended videos (I've seen a visualization of it, but I can't find
> > the link...). Also, unless you have direct access to the analytics for
> each
> > video (by having it under your account), I'm fairly certain that you
> can't
> > see stats regarding use of the videos on external sites.
> >
> > ---
> >
> > Alexander Leavitt
> > PhD Student
> > USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
> > http://alexleavitt.com
> > Twitter: @alexleavitt
> >

> > On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Megan Zahay <meganzahay at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I have been lurking on the list for about a year now and really
> enjoying
> > > the wealth of insights and information, but this is my first addition
> > > it. I am currently working on a project which would like to track the
> > > network of some YouTube videos, so that includes things like referrals
> > from
> > > other videos, embedding videos on external sites, video comments, text
> > > comments, etc. I would also like to use any demographic data available.
> > Can
> > > anyone inform me about the reliability of the statistics provided on
> > > YouTube itself for each video, or point me in the direction of some
> > > publications on the subject? Additionally, if anyone is aware of any
> > > programs that would allow me to view the network between groups of
> videos
> > > or research that has been done in this area I would be very
> [...]

Jenni Powell
Content and Speaker Coordinator - VidCon
Producer - The Lizzie Bennet Diaries
                   Welcome to Sanditon
                   Geek & Sundry Vlogs

10408 Oxford St.