[Air-L] Let's Talk About AoIR

Natalya Godbold ngodbold at gmail.com
Fri May 31 08:27:10 PDT 2013

Ruth Deller commented:
*So maybe we could look to alternate with a continental/national
conferenceone year and a big global shindig the next?  Or have more
web/internet-based ways of sharing and connecting - if not streaming, then
weeks/months where we actively work to share stuff via blogs or online
repositories or YouTube or Twitter or whatever works best for what we want
to share.*

A cute idea.  A panel, held via email, discussion board or chatroom.  It
happens at a particular time. Maybe the presentation is streamed, or maybe
the paper is available in longhand before the time starts.  Then for half
an hour, people can ask the author questions about the paper, to which the
author has to answer in real time.
As an Australian who pays for most of her own conference attendances
including the thousands of dollars in airfares to other continents, the
idea has its merits.  Mainly for the author, who gets instant feedback from
a variety of sources.  And your responses don't disappear into the air, you
already wrote them down.  That would give me a lot of useful grist for the
mill.  Perhaps it would be good to be in a chatroom or on a discussion
board, for the sake of the layout.  But if it happened say, via the air-l
list, the discussion might prompt people who didn't intend to attend, to
chuck in a comment.

Probably this happens in your world all the time, but its a fascinating new
idea to me.

xn

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Deller, Ruth A <R.A.Deller at shu.ac.uk>wrote:

> Wow, a few days away on annual leave and I come back to find AOIR
> asploding all over my inbox!  Lots of things to digest here but my
> twopenn'orth on a few of them (apologies, these thoughts will be conference
> specific ones not ones pertaining to AOIR in general, although I might come
> back to that later)
>
> CONFERENCE TEMPLATES
>
> I'll hold my hands up, I really struggled with the format this year both
> to write and to review.  I'm used to just submitting and reviewing
> conference abstracts of 250-500 words so a longer one - yet something too
> short to be a proper paper - was a bit of a shock to the system, and not
> only that, it had its own particular fonts and styles and layouts!  I found
> that quite intimidating and unnecessarily formal and I wasn't sure of its
> purpose.  As others have said, it was too short to be a paper, too long for
> an abstract and trying to decide exactly what got put into it was hard.
>  When reviewing, it was problematic using the template because everyone had
> interpreted it in different ways, some giving mini papers, others extended
> abstracts, others something else entirely - I genuinely found it hard to
> judge and I do a lot of reviewing of abstracts and of papers - but this
> hybrid beast was new to me.
>
> Having seen Terri's comment about roundtables/panels, I fear I am possibly
> one of those guilty of confusing them in the reviewing process this year
> somehow - on last year's system it seemed much clearer whether things were
> papers, panels, fishbowls etc - although I was on the organising team last
> year and accessed everything via the back system so maybe it looked
> different for team members than for actual reviewers.  I do worry that we
> might have lost some quality papers, panels and roundtables purely because
> of the formatting issues and people's difficulty in interpreting the brief
> both as authors and reviewers.
>
> CONFERENCE FEEL AND SO ON
>
> I think one of the things this issue with the templates highlights is the
> problems of interdisciplinarity - I am ALL FOR it and think one of our
> biggest strengths is that we can accommodate scholars from lots of
> disciplines and countries - but it does mean that, naturally, we all differ
> a lot in practice and in terms of what is considered 'prestigious' (unlike
> some people's experiences, my research centre actually thinks a lot of AOIR
> - probably not enough to fund me to go to Denver but that's just because
> they don't like spending money).  Therefore, we're probably never going to
> agree on what the conference should be: a creative exchange where newer,
> innovative stuff can be shared, or a place for finished products.
>
> I'm not an either/or person, so I would always advocate the both/and way
> of thinking. Being on the conference team last year I did sometimes find we
> were restricted in what we could put on the programme and how we could
> [...]

Natalya Godbold
PhD Candidate (Human Information Behaviour / Health Communication)
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney

¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸. .~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.
.><((((º>`~.¸¸.~´¯`~.¸.~´¯`~...¸><((((º> .,,.~´¯`~.. ¸><((((º>¸.

UTS CRICOS Provider Code:  00099F
read, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message or attachments.  If
immediately and delete this message. Any views expressed in this message
are those of the individual sender, except where the sender expressly, and
with authority, states them to be the views of the University of Technology
Sydney. Before opening any attachments, please check them for viruses and
defects.

Think. Green. Do.