[Air-L] Let's talk about AoIR.

Nicole Ellison enicole at umich.edu
Fri May 31 10:39:15 PDT 2013

Re: Ruth's comment that: "The internet is always changing and I worry that
to fully take on board Nicole's suggestion of only submitting things that
had 'findings' ..."

I'd like to clarify that this is not what I said at all, nor do I think
this should be the case. I'm actually pretty shocked that my note was
interpreted this way.

My comment was about the need for different kinds of presentation formats
that support different kinds of work. For empirical ("straight") research,
I think it makes sense to include "findings" when assessments about quality
are being made. The perceived low-quality of the conference (and its
subsequent implications for funding, tenure decisions, etc.) have been
noted by others, and I think encouraging people to include their findings
when submitting empirical work will go a long way towards addressing the
problems others have noted with regard to cocktail-napkin-notes
presentations or excellent abstracts/poor papers.

***I also think there should be separate formats for the other kinds of
work that Terri and others have mentioned - be they roundtables, birds of a
feather, performances, workshops, etc.*** I think the conference can
support these different kinds of presentation modes.

I agree that having clearer guidelines for authors and reviewers will help
with the reviewing problems that have been noted, as would a larger
reviewing pool.

Thanks, Nicole

--
Nicole B. Ellison