[Air-L] History of speech-generating software

Meryl Alper malper at usc.edu
Sat Nov 23 15:12:53 PST 2013

Hi all,

I am writing to ask if anyone knows of a good book that either in whole or
part provides an overview of the history of speech-generating software
and/or devices - essentially, a history of humans making computers "talk."

For background, my dissertation is primarily a qualitative study of how US
parents of young non-verbal children with developmental disabilities
incorporate the iPad into their families' lives when the child uses the
mobile device partly or primarily as a speech-generating system.  I am
pairing this fieldwork with archival research on how parents have
historically navigated the world of personal computers equipped with
software for producing synthetic speech.

Thanks!
Meryl Alper
Ph.D. Candidate in Communication
Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism
University of Southern California