[Air-L] content analysis software?

Stefania Milan stefania.milan at utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 28 04:51:32 PST 2013

Hi everyone

A student of mine (who for some reason has not been able to subscribe
to this list) is looking for a (possibly open source) software to do
content analysis of newspaper articles from an online database. She is
also looking at the trail version of WordStat, and is curious to know
whether anyone can recommend it. See her email below (to speed things
up, I agree to post her request for her. Please reply to Puck directly
(p.j.m.koene at tilburguniversity.edu)).
Thanks for any suggestions and advice you might want to share with us
Stefania Milan
----
 From Puck Koene [p.j.m.koene at tilburguniversity.edu]
Hey everyone,

In order to graduate I am currently writing my master thesis. The plan
is to examine thousands of news articles extracted from an online
database. However, so far I have no knowledge of any good software to
automate this process. I was hoping y?all could help me answer the
question as to whether you know any software to do proper content
analysis. Does any of you by any chance have experience with WordStat?
I'm particularly interested in the trial version as I need to be able
to have access to the results of my analysis after the trail version
has expired. The software I?m looking for needs to be able to detect
types of sources used by journalists and add them together, so
basically I need the software to look for certain key words. If you
know any good software (especially free software or trial versions) to
run a proper content analysis I would love to hear from you. Thank you
in advance.

Best,
Puck Koene, Student Communication and Information Sciences
Tilburg University (Netherlands)
p.j.m.koene at tilburguniversity.edu