[Air-L] Retro technologies and memes

Deller, Ruth A R.A.Deller at shu.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 04:55:20 PST 2013

Hi all

I'm writing a piece that involves discussion of the use of MS Paint within a particular web culture and I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of articles (whether 'academic' or not) on the trend within web cultures, particularly meme cultures, to deliberately reference 'primitive' or 'retro'-technologies such as Paint? I'm not just interested for this article - we're delivering new modules looking at media technologies soon so any articles about retro cultures in terms of referencing and reusing older technologies would be interesting.

Ruth Deller
Principal Lecturer in Media
Room 9210 Cantor Building, Shefield Hallam University, UK
r.a.deller at shu.ac.uk<mailto:r.a.deller at shu.ac.uk>, http://www.ruthdeller.co.uk<http://www.ruthdeller.co.uk/>, @ruthdeller<http://www.twitter.com/ruthdeller>