[Air-L] Retro technologies and memes

Pask-Hughes, Alexander a.pask-hughes at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Nov 14 07:36:17 PST 2013

Hi all,

I'm sure Nathan Jurgenson and others have commented about this on the Cyborgology blog (http://thesocietypages.org/cyborgology/).

I'd also second the suggestion of Simon Reynolds' Retromania - with the addition of the various commentaries about his book. More generally, I'd be surprised if this hasn't been discussed much more widely in the context of music subcultures - which is what Reynolds' book mainly concentrates upon (the use of early synthesisers in current electronic music, the widespread practice in heavy metal, punk and 'indie' circles of releasing vinyl, etc. etc.)

Alexander David Pask-Hughes

PhD student
Seminar Tutor for LING204: Discourse Analysis

Department of Linguistics and English Language
Lancaster University

E-mail: a.pask-hughes at lancaster.ac.uk