[Air-L] International conference on ‘Social Media and the Transformation of Public Space’

Anne Helmond anne at digitalmethods.net
Thu Nov 28 06:52:07 PST 2013

International conference on ‘Social Media and the Transformation of Public
Space’

University of Amsterdam, Netherlands

June 18-20, 2014

Organizers: José van Dijck & Thomas Poell

Confirmed speakers: Lance Bennett, Tarleton Gillespie, Alfred
Hermida, Hallvard Moe

This conference explores the potentially contradictory cultural
and techno-commercial mechanisms introduced by the rise of social
media platforms. The main question driving the conference is how
social media, looked at from different angles and scholarly approaches,
are transforming concepts of public  pace or “publicness”.
More specifically, we will ask how social media are involved in
the transformation of particular domains, including news production, public
broadcasting, activism, and law and order.

Abstract deadline: March 7, 2014

Proposals for presentations or full panels should be sent in a PDF or Word
format as email attachments to asmc14-fgw at uva.nl no later than Friday,
March 7, 2014. We will evaluate submissions on a rolling basis and will
respond to every proposal.

Learn more about the conference at:

http://acgs.uva.nl/news-and-events/news/news/news/content/folder/2013/11/social-media-and-the-transformation-of-public-space.html

---

Anne Helmond | Phd Candidate and Lecturer | New Media and Digital Culture
University of Amsterdam | Turfdraagsterpad 9 | 1012 XT  Amsterdam | The
Netherlands
http://home.medewerker.uva.nl/a.p.helmond/ | http://www.annehelmond.nl/ |
@silvertje

Latest publication: Helmond, Anne. “The Algorithmization of the
Hyperlink.” Computational Culture 3 (2013):
http://computationalculture.net/article/the-algorithmization-of-the-hyperlink