[Air-L] Social media as an industry

Andrew Herman aherman at wlu.ca
Fri Nov 15 10:22:30 PST 2013

Thanks, David. This is awesome!

Chair
Department of Communication Studies
Wilfrid Laurier University
Waterloo, ON N2L 3C5

>>> David Brake  11/15/13 9:43 AM >>>
To follow up for all of you, here's what I have had recommended to me:

Albarran, A. B. (Ed.). (2013). The social media industries. New York:
Routledge.
http://www.routledge.com/books/details/9780415523196/
Fattal, Alex Facebook: Corporate Hackers, a Billion Users, and the
Geo-politics of the "Social Graph". Anthropological Quarterly 85(3)
http://muse.jhu.edu/login?auth=0&type=summary&url=/journals/anthropological_quarterly/v085/85.3.fattal01.html
van Dijck, J. (2013). The culture of connectivity : a critical history
of social media. Oxford ; New York: Oxford University Press.
http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199970780.do
(which led me to):
van Dijck, J., & Poell, T. (2013). Understanding social media logic.
Media and Communication, 1(1), 2-14. Retrieved from
http://www.librelloph.com/mediaandcommunication/article/view/MaC-1.1.2

Hope this helps! Will let you know if more gems come my way...

(ObPlug) Two AoIR-related publications recently released:

Brake, D. R. (2013). Are we all online content creators now? Web 2.0 and
digital divides. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication. doi:
10.1111/jcc4.12042 Retrieved from
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jcc4.12042/abstract
Brake, D. R. (2013). Journalists, User Generated Content and Digital
Divides. In J. Gordon, G. Stewart & P. Rowinski (Eds.), Br(e)aking The
News: Journalism, Politics and New Media (pp. 253-270). Oxford, UK:
Peter Lang