[Air-L] Use of Social Media Tools at an Academic Conference

Magdalena O! m_olszan at live.concordia.ca
Fri Nov 29 11:25:31 PST 2013

Hello,

I second guidebook.com<http://guidebook.com>. I've seen it used at the Differential Mobilities Conference in Montreal in May, and with HASTAC last spring. It allows you to upload images, tweets, make your own conference plan, notes, etc.

Although this may be obvious, but the key to having a lively social media component to any conference is having dedicated social media people who can monitor hashtags, upload images, participate in backchannel conversations and also know how to effectively synthesize presenter ideas in 140 characters. I have done social media / photography coordination for conferences before. It takes a lot of planning and work, and you can't simply rely on technology to have a live stream and what have you of tweets from attendees if you want to have an impact. :)

Cheers

=^.^=

Magdalena Olszanowski, PhD Student
Senior Research Assistant, Mobile Media Lab<http://mobilities.ca>