[Air-L] Save the date - first CFP: =?ISO-8859-1?B?Q2FUYUO5MTQ=?=: Culture, Technology, Communication - Oslo, June 15-18, 2014

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 01:38:23 PDT 2013

Dear AoIR-ists,

On behalf of the Conference Co-Organizers, I'm very pleased to draw your
attention to CaTaC¹14: Culture, Technology, Communication: Celebration,
Transformation, New Directions.  Please distribute and cross-post as
appropriate.

Venue: Department of Informatics, Ole-Johan Dahls hus, University of Oslo
Dates: June 15-18, 2014
Predoctoral PhD workshop: Monday morning, June 16, 2014.

Conference website: <http://www.catacconference.org/>

NB!  June is a busy month for conferences and tourism in Oslo.  We strongly
urge potentially interested participants to explore the resource lists on
the conference website of recommended accommodations and book as early as
possible.  Notifications of acceptance will be issued sufficiently early
(March 14, 2014) so as to allow cost-free reservation cancellation if
need be.

Important Dates:
Submission of papers (short or full), panel proposals: 14 February 2014
    Notification of acceptance: 14 March 2014
    Final formatted papers (for conference proceedings): 18 April 2014

Background.
Our 1998 conference on ³Culture, Technology, and Communication² (CATaC) was
among the first devoted to the roles of culturally-variable norms,
practices, and communicative preferences in the designs, implementations,
and responses to (networked) information and communication technologies.
While certainly successful in academic terms (including publications and
conference ranking by the Australian Research Council as among the top 20%
of conferences in these domains), what became a biennial series has also
been marked as a critical but collegial conference culture that
provides a unique oasis for participants who share often radically
interdisciplinary interests. (AoIR-ists will feel right at home!)
    Much has changed, of course, since 1998 - including the "mainstreaming"
of
our signature focus on culture as inextricably interwoven with ICTs.
Accordingly, CaTaC'14 will be a transformational conference - one that will
explore new, robustly interdisciplinary ways of attending to the
intersections of culture, technology, and communication in critical but
cordial fashion. We aim to both celebrate the people and accomplishments of
the past conference series, and to transform the conference series through
development of new research, directions and approaches.

We invite both participation in the opening Doctoral Colloquium and paper
and panel submissions that address the intersections between culture,
technology, and communication with a focus on either Design/Production or
Practice (see descriptions below).

Doctoral Colloquium: PhD students will present and collaboratively discuss
their current work, and enjoy advice and mentoring from senior faculty
across the disciplines represented at CaTaC¹14 ­ including informatics and
design, communication and media studies, among others (Monday morning, June
16, 8.30-12.00).

Conference tracks. We invite research, reflection, and scholarship
that specifically address one or more of our defining elements of culture,
technology, and communication ­ while simultaneously exploring the
interrelationship(s) between these.   More particularly, we invite
submissions that do so through focusing on either Design/Production or
Practice. (For a much more extensive description of the tracks and their
threads, please see the conference website.)

Design/Production
For this track, we invite individual papers and panels that look at how
technical, cultural and communication affordances and constraints intersect
in the production of technology, messages and theory construction. This
track includes:

* Designs for Good Lives in a Mediated Age,
Invited panel, ³Cross-cultural understandings and designs of social robots
as co-agents of good lives² (Satomi Sugiyama, chair).
* Trans-mediated and intelligent workplaces: implications for work analysis
and interaction design
* Technology Design: Politics and ethics
* Legal and ethical issues
* Research Design and Theory Development

Practice
We invite individual submissions and panels that have the use of information
and communication technologies in specific cultural contexts as their main
focus. Examples include:
* Cultural diversity and global ICTs, e.g. ,global health information
systems, Wikipedia, social media;
* Global and local cultures of computing;
* The construction of identity using online social media, gaming, and
blogging platforms
* Political activism through social media
* Privacy issues in media environments that encourage public identities.
* Analysis of Cultural Discourses about technology that shape understanding
and use,

Both short (3-5 pages) and long (10-15 pages) original papers are sought for
presentation.  Panel proposals addressing a specific theme or topic are also
encouraged.
Papers will be published in the Conference Proceedings (electronic only).
Authors retain copyright, etc.

Registration fees: to be determined.  (We anticipate that registration fees
will be somewhat ­ perhaps significantly ­ less than in previous years.)

We look forward to welcoming you to Oslo next June!

Conference Co-organizers:
Charles Ess (Department of Media and Communication, University of Oslo)
Maja van der Velden (Department of Informatics, University of Oslo)
Organizing Committee
José Abdelnour-Nocera (School of Computing and Technology, University of
West London)
Herbert Hrachovec (Philosophy Department, University of Vienna)
Leah Macfadyen (Evaluation and Learning Analytics, University of British
Columbia)
Patrizia Schettino (Communication Studies, Università della Svizzera
italiana)
Ylva Hård af Segerstad (Department of Applied Information Technology at the
University of Gothenburg/Chalmers)
Andra Siibak (Media Studies, University of Tartu)
Michele M. Strano, Program Chair (Communication Studies, Bridgewater
College)
Satomi Sugiyama (Communication and Media Studies, Franklin College
Switzerland)