[Air-L] Come to MSU!

Shelia Cotten cotten at msu.edu
Mon Oct 28 13:50:36 PDT 2013

Hi everyone. As some of you know, I moved from UAB to Michigan State in
August. I'm in the Department of Telecommunication, Information Studies, and
Media (TISM) and really loving it thus far!

We'd love to have some of your students who are interested in technology,
social media, human-computer interaction, games, media effects, etc. apply
for our PhD program! I'm particularly interested in working with students
who are interested in technology and health, digital inequalities, aging and
technology use, community based interventions, social, educational, and
health impacts of technology use, and multitasking. If you have students who
might be interested in any of my areas, I am happy to talk with them! We
have faculty who are phenomenal in several other areas (see below) too!

Please share with other listservs and students that you think might be
interested.

Thanks!

Shelia

Professor, Department of Telecommunication, Information Studies, and Media

Michigan State University

MIS PhD Program @ MSU

 The Media and Information Studies PhD program at Michigan State University
seeks engaged students who wish to join an exciting interdisciplinary
program of study at the intersection of the social sciences and socio
technical systems. Our diverse faculty develops and applies transformative
knowledge about media and society and evolving information and communication
technologies.  The program engages students to become active scholars,
teachers, and leaders in the media and information fields.

Offered jointly by the Department of Advertising + Public Relations, the
School of Journalism, and the Department of Telecommunication, Information
Studies and Media, the MIS PhD program give students access to fifty PhD
faculty with research interests that span critical current and emerging
issues in media and information studies. Students get involved in projects
early on, complementing theoretical coursework with hands-on research
experiences.

Particularly strong research interests of our faculty include:

*      Social media and social computing

*      Human-computer interaction

*      Management information systems

*      Games and meaningful play

*      Health and ICT

*      ICT4D

*      Media effects

*      Media and information policy

*      Socio technical systems

Over 90 percent of our current students are supported by graduate teaching
and research assistantships with generous monthly stipends, tuition
remission, and health benefits. . University fellowships, dissertation
completion fellowships, summer research fellowships and stipends for travel
to academic conferences round out the resources available for students.

Over three-fourths of our graduates are hired into faculty positions at
four-year institutions at graduation. They are found in departments of mass
media, journalism, advertising, public relations, and information studies
across the United States and around the world. Others go on to careers in
public service and business.

The National Research Council (NRC) ranks the MIS doctoral program among the
top 10 of all doctoral programs in communication in the United States. The
National Communication Association (NCA), in their most recent doctoral
program reputation study, ranked MSU's Ph.D. programs as No. 1 in educating
researchers in communication technology, and in the top four in mass
communication. Michigan State University ranked third in frequency of
faculty publication in communication in a study reported in The Electronic
Journal of Communication in 2012.

East Lansing and the greater Lansing area offer a vibrant cultural
environment with easy access to a variety of outdoor activities and the
scenic beauty of our state year-round. Blending urban and sub-urban living,
it is one of the nation's most affordable places to complete a doctoral
program in media and information studies.

Application deadline to be considered for assistantships is January 1, 2014.
However, we will begin reviewing applications on December 1, 2013 and
continue to review them through early February 2014.

For more information and to apply visit
http://cas.msu.edu/programs/phdinmis/ or email Dr. Robert LaRose, Director,
MIS PhD Program at larose at msu.edu <mailto:larose at msu.edu> .