[Air-L] Two announcements from ICA Game Studies Interest Group: Call for papers + reviewers + preconference proposals

Nicholas Bowman Nicholas.Bowman at mail.wvu.edu
Sat Oct 5 11:46:31 PDT 2013

Colleagues,

As a representative of ICA's Game Studies Interest Group, I wanted to
let you know about a few upcoming opportunities for game studies
scholarship. If you have any questions, please contact me directly at
Nicholas.Bowman at mail.wvu.edu and I'll be eager to help you find some
answers. All of these announcements are regarding our 2014 Seattle
conference (May 22 to 26, 2014) so I hope you might be able to make it?
Regardless, there are plenty of ways in which you can help us as we work
towards a common goal of games research. =)

It's a longer note, but please don't tl;dr us? Apologies in advance for
any cross-postings if you're a member of other groups.

CALL FOR PAPER SUBMISSIONS AND REVIEWERS

As the vice chair and paper review competition coordinator for the
International Communication Association's Game Studies interest group, I
want to remind all of you that you are invited to submit papers to the
Game Studies paper competition for the upcoming ICA 2014 annual
conference to be held 22 to 26 May, 2014 in Seattle.  Papers must be
submitted online using the ICA online submission system
(http://www.icahdq.org/cfp) by 11 p.m. Eastern U.S. time on 4 November
2013.

We welcome papers from a variety of disciplinary approaches on a broad
range of topics dealing with the study of games and the game experience.
 More details about our paper competition and the general ICA call for
papers guidelines can be found at the group's web site,
http://icagames.org.

Whether you are submitting a paper or not, we are also seeking
reviewers to help us with this year's paper competition and we hope that
you’ll consider volunteering. We recognize that your time is valuable
and as a result, we work to limit the number of papers assigned to any
given reviewer. To volunteer to review:

1) go to the ICA paper submission site at
http://www.icahdq.org/cfp/index.asp
2) log in and choose the "Continue to Paper Management" link
3) choose "Volunteer to be a Reviewer" and include Game Studies in your
selected groups.

Our reviewers are what make our paper competition possible, and I am
very proud of the generous service that great scholars from all over the
world has provided to make our paper competition a good one.  I hope you
will help us succeed again this year.

While you are working on those papers and signing up to review, you can
review our paper call and other information at http://icagames.org and
get the conversation started early with our Facebook community at
https://www.facebook.com/icagames.

CALL FOR PRE-CONFERENCE PARTICIPANTS

Beyond the Pixels: A Look at Digital Games
Pre-Conference to the 64th International Communication Association
(ICA) Annual Conference
Seattle, WA, USA
Wednesday 22 May, 2014

Digital games are an integral aspect of many lives – they’re in social
networks, they’re on mobile phones, and they are, as ever, on television
and computer screens. Their influence is not limited to the screens or
the devices in which they exist, but can be experienced well beyond
their original digital footprint.
The goal of the 2014 pre-conference, “Beyond the Pixels,” is to take it
one step further and encourage scholars to think outside the box. This
pre-conference will be a space to think about the marks that digital
games are making on our world.  Submissions should look within the game,
outside the game, and around the game for their inspiration. Careful
consideration of the influence of specific elements of the game design
itself, such as avatars, sound, user interfaces, types of game play, are
welcome. We encourage innovative challenges to the notion of digital
games as having a singular influence on the user, and the implications
for that influence as it relates to broader society. Considerations for
the infrastructures that have developed around games and continue to
influence games, as well as explorations of the communities that develop
around, within, and beyond games, are also encouraged.
Potential pre-conference topics include but are not restricted to:

·         Game content
·         Game design choices and their implications
·         Game elements such as avatar, sound, and user interface
·         Solo vs. social game play experience
·         Cross modal games
·         Game analysis from critical to analytics
·         Innovative methods for studying uses and applications of
games
·         Impact of designing games for educational, health, moral, or
commercial gain
·         Academic vs. industry game research
·         Game research methods

Push the boundaries. Go beyond the pixels. Further information on the
pre-conference can be found at: http://icagames.org (
http://game.icahdq.org/ohana/website/?p=56927916 ), and on the ICA main
conference at www.icahdq.org.

Extended Abstracts
Anyone interested in presenting  at the pre-conference is invited to
submit an extended abstract between 1000-1500 words in APA 6th style to
the pre-conference organization committee before 23:59 EST, December 1,
2013. The abstracts will be subject to a double blind peer review
process; therefore all identifying author information should be removed
from the abstract. Notification of acceptance will be sent by February
1, 2014.

To submit, please e-mail a PDF version of your extended abstract with
title as an attachment to preconference at icagames.org. When submitting
the abstract, please also include a separate cover page including the
title of your extended abstract, along with your name, title,
department/organization, address and e-mail information.

Submission of work in progress is also welcome as long as the work can
be completed by the month of the pre-conference. The extended abstracts
submitted for the pre-conference should not have been submitted to any
other competitions in the ICA's main conference or any other venue. The
pre-conference submissions will be refereed and programmed separately
from ICA’s main conference.
All those who are accepted to present their extended abstract should
register for the ICA pre-conference by April 3, 2014.

Please note that accepted extended abstracts may be published in the
on-line pre-conference proceedings. Those who wish to be considered for
publication should let the pre-conference organization committee know in
their e-mail submission whether or not they want to be included in the
proceedings.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to seeing you in Seattle. =)

~nick

Nicholas David Bowman, Ph.D.
Vice Chair, ICA Game Studies
West Virginia University