[Air-L] CFP AAG 2014: Alternative Computation and Unconventional Spaces

Joe Eckert jeckert1 at uw.edu
Tue Oct 8 13:21:25 PDT 2013

Alternative Computation and Unconventional Spaces

Monica Stephens, Humboldt State University

Josef Eckert, University of Washington

Newly emergent features of the computational turn (e.g., Berry 2011) posit
new challenges for geographers practicing computer-mediated research.
 While geographers maintain a strong relationship with geographic
information systems, new technologies, hardware, and practices suggest
exciting new avenues for computational research.  Geographic “big data”
demand new, computationally intensive approaches to geospatial analysis.
 Textual artifacts from social media sources augment traditional geospatial
inquiry, but also serve as data for non-GIS computational work such as
natural language processing, topic modeling, or social media analysis.
 These provocative treatments suggest ways in which information can be
geographic, yet not necessarily require explicit Cartesian expression.
Results of such analyses have determined uneven distributions of data, and
limits to the representational abilities of GIS.

We’re excited to push beyond traditional GIS techniques to explore other
ways in which our digital beings are expressed through space and place.
 This session welcomes both empirical and theoretical work that advances
computer-mediated research in novel ways.

We welcome papers on the following topics (or any closely related):

1)  Digital humanities-inspired inquiry for Geography

2)  Alternative methodologies for the digitally underrepresented

3)  Novel geospatial and other computer-mediated approaches to “big data”
analyses

4)  Non-Cartesian geographic information and its analyses

5)  Computer-mediated research located in underrepresented spaces (rural
areas, impoverished places, etc.)

6)  Geographic natural language processing, topic modeling, or other
textual analysis

7)  Relational spaces of Social Network Analysis

Please send related abstracts to Joe Eckert (jeckert1 at uw.edu) and Monica
Stephens (monica.stephens at humboldt.edu) no later than October 31, 2013.

Best,
Monica Stephens & Joe Eckert