[Air-L] CfP - International Symposium on Media Innovations (ISMI) 2014 - University of Oslo - April 24-25

Charles Ess charles.ess at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 01:27:38 PDT 2013

Dear AoIRists,
- please cross-post and distribute as appropriate -
And please note that our very own Steve Jones will provide the academic
(emphasis) keynote!

On behalf of the Planning Committee, we are very pleased to call your
attention to the third annual International Symposium on Media Innovations,
to be held at the University of Oslo, April 24-25, 2014.

The Media Innovations Symposium explores how changing technologies, and
changing modes of usage and engagement with media bring about innovation and
transformation of the media sector.  The Symposium invites participation
from scholars, editors, producers, and executives across the globe. The
Symposium offers a small and thereby very intense conference that examines
the state of media innovations from a wide range of industry and academic
perspectives.
Sponsors include: the Centre for Research on Media Innovations (CeRMI) and
the Department of Media and Communication, University of Oslo.

Keynote speakers
Thor Gjermund Eriksen,  Director General of NRK (the Norwegian Broadcasting
Corporation)
Steve Jones, University of Illinois at Chicago Distinguished Professor
Provisional keynote title: ³Living the Good Life: IT Innovations and the
Quantified Self²

Submissions are invited that address the themes listed below.  Submissions
will be peer-reviewed.  Extended abstracts of proposed papers ­ 750 word
maximum ­ should be send to <symposium at mediainnovations.no>.

Deadlines and Dates
November 22, 2013: extended abstracts due
December 20, 2013: acceptance notices due
March 14, 2014: full papers due
April 14, 2014: best paper award announced

Special issue, Journal of Media Innovations.  Submitted papers will be
further reviewed for inclusion in a special issue of The Journal of Media
Innovations, Vol. 2, No. 1, Fall, 2014.

Themes for paper and panel presentations

(For the complete call, including accommodation information, please see
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/events/I
SMI14_cfp.html>)

Industry emphases
We invite both paper and panel proposals designed to encourage practitioner
involvement.  The following are example themes of interest:

Best-case / worst-case examples of innovation:
³Break-through² examples that may serve as models for others?
³Learning from our failures² ­ how not to pursue innovation?

Taxing matters: how tax policies foster/hinder media innovations

Beta mentality: How are newsrooms dealing with constant change?

Additional possible themes, topics:
media entrepreneurs and small media firms as innovators
innovation in media content (focus on ways of describing and comparing
content innovation in entertainment media)
innovation in NPD routines and practices in media industries
ICTs and innovation in media production tools
innovation, accessibility, and customer service

Academic Emphasis
We invite both paper and panel proposals having to do with any aspect of
media innovation, including the following:

Normative analyses
We no longer have a way of living together ­ of conducting any domain of
life ­ without media
but we don¹t yet know how to live well with media.
(Couldry 2013: 15; emphasis in the original)

We invite papers that offer normative analyses of media innovations, e.g.:
Do innovative forms of journalism ­ including so-called ³citizen journalism²
­ indeed contribute to greater diversity of viewpoints, tolerance, debate,
and healthier democratic processes, and/or to (anti-democratic)
fragmentation (as through the ³Daily Me² effect of filtering news content to
suit one¹s own tastes and views in the first place), ³herd mentality² and
polarization, etc.?
Does the speed of innovation and change in the media industry represent any
risk to society?

Papers can take still broader perspectives ­ e.g., what does it mean to live
good lives in a mediated age? ­ but should be firmly connected with concrete
and focused examples of media innovation practices and products.

Additional themes, topics.  Scholars are invited to submit papers that
address additional aspects of media innovation ­ for example:
mapping innovation in the media industries;
media innovation and journalistic practices;
innovation in children's media;
genre innovation, including new genres and styles in e-books, social media
and mobile media;
gender and media innovation;
innovation vis-à-vis media economics and media and cultural policy;
humanistic approaches to innovation in media design;
media innovations and political communication;
mobile media, apps, and innovation;
media innovation and cultural institutions (museums, libraries, etc.);

Accommodations: We strongly urge potentially interested participants to
explore the resource lists on the conference website
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/events/a
ccommodation.html> of recommended accommodations and book as early as
possible.  Notifications of acceptance will be issued sufficiently early
(December 20, 2013) so as to allow cost-free reservation cancellation if
need be.

Planning Committee:
Jens Barland, Gjøvik University College
Niamh Ní Bhroin, University of Olso
Charles Davis, Ryerson University
Karoline Andrea Ihlebæk, University of Olso
Bente Kalsnes, University of Olso
Arne Håskjold Krumsvik, Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied
Sciences
Philippe Ross, University of Ottowa
Knut Kvale, Telenor

Many thanks,

charles ess
Professor in Media Studies
Department of Media and Communication

Director, Centre for Research on Media Innovations
<http://www.hf.uio.no/imk/english/research/center/media-innovations/>

My latest book, Digital Media Ethics, is now available from Polity:
http://www.politybooks.com/book.asp?ref=0745656056

University of Oslo
P.O. Box 1093 Blindern
NO-0317