[Air-L] Call: CSCW' 14 workshop “Quick & Dirty: Lightweight Methods for Heavyweight Research”

Nicholas Weber nicholas.m.weber at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 15:48:45 PDT 2013

The theme of this workshop should be of interest to many in the AoIR community…. If you have any thoughts / questions feel free to email me directly. Hope to see a number of you in Baltimore.

(And, I will make absolutely no apologies for cross posting this)

========

CSCW'14 workshop “Quick & Dirty: Lightweight Methods for Heavyweight Research

There seems to be a need for more rapid, lower cost, exploratory, lightweight, responsive and revisable methods that can help with discovery based research in CSCW. In this workshop we invite participants to share experiences in the design, adaptation and use of lightweight research methods. The circumstances of a research setting may render more traditional, established, rigorous and trusted methods infeasibly expensive or just too slow. As with many design challenges, such constraints can be a spur to creativity and an embracing of the unorthodox. What happens when we apply design thinking to how we do our research? We will explore ways to assess the validity, strengths, and weaknesses of lightweight methods. We will also discuss how to explain both the power and limitations of new methods to audiences who understandably may be rather skeptical.
Deadline for workshop submissions:  1st December 2013.

Please see the workshop wiki for more details: https://github.com/QuickAndDirty/CSCW2014/wiki/CSCW-2014-workshop

===
Organizers:

Michael Twidale, GSLIS, University of Illinois
Nic Weber, GSLIS, University of Illinois
Alan Chamberlain, Mixed Reality Lab, University of Nottingham
Sally Jo Cunningham, Waikato University
Alan DIx, University of Birmingham