[Air-L] Professor (Open Rank) of Digital Journalism - USC-Annenberg

Daren Brabham brabham at usc.edu
Tue Oct 22 21:45:39 PDT 2013

Hello colleagues,

The Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism at the University of
Southern California is hiring for open rank professor in digital journalism.
Come join our fantastic faculty, in our new building next year
(http://wallisannenberghall.uscannenberg.org/), situated in sunny Los
Angeles!

Happy to talk with interested folks at the conference this week - I'll be
there in Denver.

View and apply for the posting here:
https://jobs.usc.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=72644

Or read about it here:

PROFESSOR (OPEN RANK) OF DIGITAL JOURNALISM

Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism

University of Southern California

Requisition ID: 021676

Full-Time

Tenure status: open

Preferred education: an advanced degree

USC Annenberg's School of Journalism seeks applicants for open-rank faculty
appointments. Candidates should have a proven track record showcasing a deep
understanding of modern, digital journalism, and firm grounding in the
enduring values of journalism. They will join an Annenberg tradition of
innovation, and enrich the School's ability to equip our students to offer
their work on converged platforms, lead and collaborate in participatory
journalism, and build online audiences. We seek practitioners and scholars
who will join us in effecting change with an eye on the public interest and
an embrace of all voices. Areas of interest include:

1. Research, experimentation and development regarding new formats and
technologies in media, focusing on audience-building, online communities,
community participation and new digital experiences. Candidates for this
position will have a deep understanding of digital and multimedia news
environments and a professional reputation for harnessing technology for
storytelling.

2. Expertise in using words, sound, images, videos, data, design, plus
knowledge of SEO, analytics, usability and apps to tell stories and to
convey information in the public interest; a willingness to experiment with
innovative approaches for information design and delivery is a must.
Candidates for this position will have a record of effectiveness in creative
work and coaching in the digital multi-media world.

These new colleagues will provide leadership within the Annenberg School,
the academic community and the journalism profession. They will advise
master's students and supervise thesis projects involving interactive
digital media. They will teach in undergraduate and/or graduate programs.
They will advocate internally and externally for extending the boundaries in
experimenting with innovative approaches to digital media. Outstanding
professional accomplishments demonstrating the creation of new knowledge
that advances interactive news or sustainable news models are essential for
these positions. An advanced degree and teaching experience would be a plus.

Annenberg is closely connected to a future-oriented, diverse metropolitan
area and is rich in journalistic talent of unusual variety. We recognize
that information in the public interest will come from sources as
traditional as metropolitan dailies and from those as unconventional as game
builders and non-profit organizations. In the fall of 2014, the Annenberg
School will expand into the newly built Wallis Annenberg Hall, which will be
equipped with the most modern information technology. It will host the new
Converged Media Center, a modern web-based, multimedia learning lab. We
offer three master's degrees and enjoy extensive collaboration with our
colleagues in the Public Relations Studies Program and our sister School of
Communication, as well as with scholars across the campus.

Applicants are asked to submit their credentials including a letter
describing their background, interests and areas of expertise, their
curriculum vita or resume, three references and samples of their recent
scholarly or professional work through USC's job site:
https://facultypositions.usc.edu/bonita/console/frsSubmission.jsp?postingId=
021676

The University of Southern California is an AA/EO employer and is seeking to
create a diverse community.

db

---

Daren C. Brabham, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism

Editor, Case Studies in Strategic Communication | www.csscjournal.org

University of Southern California

3502 Watt Way, Los Angeles, CA 90089

(214) 740-2007 office | (801) 633-4796 cell

brabham at usc.edu | www.darenbrabham.com