[Air-L] Call for Contributors - First Person Scholar

Gerald Voorhees dr.g.voorhees at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 09:44:24 PDT 2013

On behalf of the editors; please email them, not me!

First Person Scholar (firstpersonscholar.com) is seeking submissions for
our weekly games studies periodical. As a publication, it is our aim to
occupy the niche between academic blogs and scholarly journals in
establishing an informed, sustained conversation. Our articles, read by
thousands a month, are relatively short, thought-provoking pieces that are
intended to stimulate debate on games and games scholarship. In that
respect, our contributors are encouraged to take calculated risks with
their submissions; we want to hear scholars think out loud about gaming in
a way that challenges accepted definitions and practices. If journals
document where games studies has gone, we are interested in where games
studies is going.

First Person Scholar publishes in three broad categories:

COMMENTARIES
Editor: Kent Aardse (kent.aardse at firstpersonscholar.com)

The commentary section exists as a venue for writers to tackle ideas still
being worked through in their minds. Commentaries begin with the discussion
of a game, and from there work outwards to include theory and criticism
that may be particularly relevant in such discussion. We encourage authors
to be daring and experimental in their discussion. Commentaries should
attempt to tackle issues in game scholarship which are not all too common.

ESSAYS
Editor: Jason Hawreliak (jason.hawreliak at firstpersonscholar.com)

Essay submissions for FPS are meant to address critical, theoretical, and
methodological considerations as they pertain to game studies. Although
essays should be theoretically grounded, theory should be discussed in the
context of particular games or play experiences. If “Commentaries” are
inductive, moving from the particular to the general, then “Essays” are
deductive, moving from the general to the particular.

BOOK REVIEWS
Editor: Michael Hancock (michael.hancock at firstpersonscholar.com)

The purpose of the book reviews is two-fold: to act as a resource for game
scholars and to critique and comment on the book’s arguments. As such, the
book reviews are divisible into summary and commentary sections. We are
also interested in publishing Second Takes, wherein a writer presents an
alternate take on an existing review, and Comparative Studies, wherein a
writer compares two or more game-related books.

GENERAL ARTICLE GUIDELINES

We invite submissions from graduate students, as well as established and
emerging scholars, on games and new media. All documents are reviewed by
the editorial staff prior to publication. We may request revisions prior to
accepting your article. All submissions must meet the following criteria:
• 500-2000 words. Include your name, as well as a fifty-word bio.
• Scholarly but informal in tone.
• Articles must be submitted by Sunday in advance of a Wednesday
publication.
• Essays and Commentaries require at least three (3) academic sources
(including texts, journal articles, researched blog posts, etc.)

Please direct general inquiries to Editor-in-Chief, Steve Wilcox (
steve.wilcox at firstpersonscholar.com).