[Air-L] Internet access and accessibility for people with disabilities

Kevin Gotkin kgotkin at asc.upenn.edu
Wed Sep 4 12:38:51 PDT 2013

Hi all--

I'd like to add to the collection of wonderful sources for this project by suggesting a piece that helps with a larger framing. One of the most important imperatives of the still-incipient field of disability studies is to investigate flows of power and autonomy as we develop and carry out our research designs. There's a fantastic piece from the earlier history of British disability studies called "Parasites, Pawns, and Partners: Disability Research and the Role of the Non-Disabled Researcher" by Emma Stone and Mark Priestley, published in the British Journal of Sociology (1996 Dec; 47(4): 699-716). It develops a notion of "emancipatory research" schemes around people with disabilities so that these populations are not simply the objects of study but are also the voice and audience of our research (important, I think, for however one identifies as a researcher). There are lots of other folks who have written about this, if you'd like more citations.

PDF here: http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/927/1/priestleym1.pdf
--
Kevin Gotkin
Ph.D. Student