[Air-L] short deadline but wpsa looks good this year

Jeremy hunsinger jhuns at vt.edu
Thu Sep 12 10:30:16 PDT 2013

*WESTERN POLITICAL SCIENCE ASSOCIATION
2014 ANNUAL MEETING
April 17 – April 19, 2014 – Sheraton Seattle Hotel
Seattle, Washington*

http://wpsa.research.pdx.edu/meet/call.php*
*

The Western Political Science Association will host its 2014 annual meeting
at the Sheraton Hotel in Seattle, Washington, from April 17 – 19, 2014.
Please make plans to attend and encourage others to join us!

The DEADLINE for submission of paper proposals/program participation forms
will be September 16, 2013.

The Program Chair for the 2014 meeting is Victoria Farrar-Myers, University
of Texas, Arlington. Email: victoria at uta.edu

*THE THEME FOR THE 2014 MEETING:*

*THE POWER OF INFORMATION*

In a world where ideas, thoughts, insights, and calls for actions can be
transferred in a nano-second across the globe, the study of what drives
this transference and the impact it has for people, institutions,
governments, and the world community become even more important endeavors
for social scientists to investigate. We must challenge old theories, look
at diverse contexts, learn from comparative contexts and cases, and glean
knowledge about what predictions or conclusions can be drawn about our
political world as a result.

Twenty-first century politics, more than any other, challenges us to make
sense of and derive meaning from the cacophony of voices that fill the
political space each day; regardless of borders, time, context, and status
of relations. Already this century we have witnessed as information
unleashed has led to awakenings across the world, from the Arab Spring; to
the EU re-negotiations; to new coalitions built across age, race, class,
gender and sexual orientation; to the continued dialogue over world-wide
power; and the future metrics by which we measure such. It is within this
world of information “chaos,” political scientists can be the deciphers of
orders and patterns that help to make sense of not only the information,
but the meaning of the events that unfold and how political actors can
function and be relevant in an ever-changing reality.

As we gather in area of our country with a long history of supporting
information literacy (2013 marks the 145th anniversary of the formation of
Seattle’s first library association and the 125th anniversary of the
formation of the Ladies Library Association, whose efforts resulted in
creating the Seattle Public Library) and some of the most successful
businesses in the modern era of information technology (e.g., Microsoft,
Amazon.com), we as social scientists need to not merely think in the
Kuhnian sense of incrementalism and the creation of new paradigms, but
rather in a manner that allows for cross-pollination of ideas and
information among sub-fields, between disciplines, and between nations. We
invite panels and paper proposals that explore the power of information in
the political context, including how information is generated,
communicated, and acted upon; the relation of information to other forms of
political power; methodological innovations allowing us to measure the
power of information; and teaching pedagogies that enable our students to
become better consumers and producers of information.

Please join us at the 2014 Western Political Science Association Annual
Meeting in Seattle where information will flow like Starbucks and Seattle’s
Best Coffee, and the ideas will rise like the Cascade and Olympic Mountains.
*
**Note:* All participants in the program are required to preregister for
the meeting by early December.

--
jeremy hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture

www.tmttlt.com

http://www.stswiki.org/  sts wiki
http://transdisciplinarystudies.tmttlt.com/  Transdisciplinary Studies:the
book series

I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to
do it.
-Pablo Picasso